Snapped key in my trailer hitch lock..... Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You the type, bright yellow, fit over the towball....

Not been used for a while so think its seized but key has snapped off in the lock now....

Any suggestions?

Im assuming its easier (if at all possible) to drill out the lock rather than cut the actual bars? After all if it was that easy everyone would do it and nick them.....

Sponsored Links
Try a magnet to remove the broken part of the key and tap the lock as you do to help it along.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. OK. Not sure how do to but I guess I just drill into where the key goes?

If you can get the key out a simple lockpick rake will likely open it quickly.

I've seen an online "hack" where a glue gun glue stick is melted with a flame at the end, melted end pushed into lock allowed to harden and when pulled away the key comes out with it.
Don't know if it'll work but might prevent u having to ruin the lock by drilling.

Well managed to get the broken off piece out at least. Even managed to get a new cut from this.

Alas, no joy. Looks like its seized or something.
Assuming cutting off is no go, I can't drill above or below the lock. Would drilling into the actual keyhole itself and slowly using larger drill bit work?

Have you tried any penetrating oil to try and loosen things up? Plusgas used to be the go to for seized bolts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back