Wooden door not locking - misaligned locks?

mxo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wooden door that is no longer locking. Both the latch and the main lock don’t align, which suggests it’s a problem with the door itself rather than the individual locks. The only way to get it to lock is to push the door upwards by 1mm while turning the key and, with some significant difficulty, it does lock.

I’ve checked all the screws and they are tight, photos attached. I’m assuming it’s an issue with wood movement during winter. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

6F06594F-4718-42A7-BCCD-04A27ED5329A.jpeg 7CC97D37-90BD-4A7B-95E4-CD05CB16A535.jpeg 2384B2E4-A1CC-4166-9B29-6CB79E984CDB.jpeg D4003218-A255-4CEF-A97D-6F2FD5F61DB0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
mxo, good evening.

The Yale lock is not "catching" because of the door dropping, there is a visual discrepancy between lock and latch of about 3.mm or 4.mm

The hinge looks tight, but if you look closely at the hinge, there appears to be a small gap between the hinge and the door frame?? [not easy to see in the image posted??] That is a gap between the top of the hinge and the rebate into which the hinge flap is located ? Has this door been "moved" or adjusted vertically in the immediate past? moved to [say] fit a carpet?

As for the dead lock, use a metal file and enlarge the dimensions of the latch in the door frame.

Or? lift the door by unscrewing the hinge and re-fitting the hinges [say] 4.mm[or so] higher, get a dimension from the Yale lock Mis-alignment

Remove hinges , tap in wooden wedges to existing screw holes which will allow refitting to top of cut hinge cutouts.( if hinges are very old they could be worn and require replacement .)
Or remove both keeps and lower them a couple of mm.
Latter is easier assuming door is still a good fit .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back