snapped pull cord switch

Sponsored Links
45A shower switch..

there is a posibility that you can replace the cord depending on the construction of the switch..

but in all likelyhood you will need to replace the switch.. best to get a sparky in or if you are doing it yourself ( not advised given your self proclaimed lack of knowledge in electrics ) then make sure you tighten the screws correctly..

thank you sir.
can i get electrocuted if i dismantle the switch? its last hurrah was to turn the thing off. what do these switches actually do?

yes you can get electrocuted when you dismantle it if it's still on at the fuse board.. so turn it off ( the whole board if you're not sure.. )

this is why shower switches should not be used for turning the showers on and off.. they are for maintenance and emergency switching only...

showers have dials and buttons for a reason people...

Sponsored Links
I switch mine off after showering. When not using electric shower, it should be switch off. What happen is if you leave shower power on, if water sprung a leak, will cause Rcb to trip in the evening? So it best to switch off at pull switch after showering.

this is why shower switches should not be used for turning the showers on and off.. they are for maintenance and emergency switching only...

showers have dials and buttons for a reason people...

So what about immersion heaters?

immersion heaters don't tend to be as large a load and switching them off while under load doesn't result in the same kind of damage as 9.5KW would cause..

they also tend to be intermitttent in nature so the odds of switching one off while under load is less than 100 percent..

also, the switching devices for immersions tend to not be pull cords.. and are sometimes in larger back boxes ( Mom's is a 45A cooker switch on a double box.. )

Coljack, shower pullcord switches are operated before the shower is switched on at the shower or after the shower is switched off at the shower. There is no load in these circumstances. But, I agree with you. The pull cord should not be operated every time the shower is used.

So how often would you advocate pulling it? (If you'll excuse the rather personal question!)

So how often would you advocate pulling it? (If you'll excuse the rather personal question!)
I never pull mine.

Its on a rather fragile ceiling, and not fixed very well. Quite some force has to be exerted on it to operate the switch. :LOL:

Also, the fact that the string broke while normally operating the switch suggests to me that its mechanism was struggling, perhaps overheating.

ken, some people use the switch to turn the shower on and off..

they get it set to the right temp that suits them and use the pullcord to turn it off... the solenoid stops the water...

seen it done..

also, the cord may have been worn by repeated use of the switch and it rubbing on the hole edges..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back