Snapping Euro Cylinder

C

cb9002

Hi

I've got a uPVC porch door with a euro cylinder, but we don't have any keys to the lock so its been left unlocked all the time.

I can't remove the cylinder the normal way as I don't have a key and I can't bump the lock as I can't find a key with the right pattern to file down.

If I try snapping the lock from the inside with mole grips (it protrudes a good 10mm) will that damage the handle or track?

Otherwise, if I try to drill the lock will a HSS bit do or should I buy a carbide one? What size, 3mm? I presume I should drill at the shear line, just below the keyway?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the safest way when snapping is to remove the handles,have someone steady the cylinder on one side with molegrips or similar whilst you snap off the barrel from the other,this makes it less likely that you'll damage the lockcase in the door,also makes snapping much easier,make sure you remove the cam and cam follower from the lockcase afterwards to prevent anything getting jammed at a later date.
when buying a new cylinder make sure you get the length that only allows the cylinder to sit flush with the handles on the outside with little or no protrusion for obvious reasons

Could also save a lot of agro and potential damage by calling a locksmith - ask them to just remove the cylinder, and you replace it if cost is an issue.

I know snapping and bumping are "hot" subjects, and there's loads of info already on the net, but do we really have to stoop to the levels of other sites by discussing methods of breaking into peoples property!! And before anyone points out the door is open - it makes little if any difference!

Sponsored Links
if you have access. you can remove the handles by loosening the 2 fixing screws on the inside. remove the bar for the handles. then give the cylinder a good firm smack downwards. the lock should break in half by the 2nd or 3rd strike. remove the cylider retaining screw from the centre of the locking mechanisim and replace ith a new cylinder ( around £5) re fiix the bar and handles and secure with the retaining screw & bosh! operation complete in around 15 minutes. no damage to door or handles ( providing you didnt miss the lock and smacked the doo that is) if locked out from the outside just get a claw hammer and rip off the handles with the claw. use a block of wood for leaverage and to protect the door. the screws should give way eventually. remove the cylinder, then flick the bar inside the mechanism. the door should then open,then just follow the instructions for the refitting. you will need new handles though.

Thats all ok if you have done it before, i think you may find when you have snapped the cylinder getting the fixing screw out is a ****. You really need to snap the cylinder and turn the mechanism so the door opens then undo the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back