snow crete crumble!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to use a white mortar for pointing a chimney breast. closer to the original pointing..

I had a bit of a go before with regular mortar just fine,.

But I was advised to go 3:1 on snow crete to yellow builders sand ( B n Q )

but it does seem a bit crumbly 24 hours later..

should I panic? it says 5:1 on the bag!

it certainly went off fast!

I'm a Bit of a novice - the builder also advised a bit of washing up liquid added as well..

Sponsored Links
How old is it, and what was the consistency when mixed.

No need to panic, but I suspect you'll need to rake it out, and start again.

hmm - some of the snow crete was a bit lumpy. and stuck together - could say how old it was for sure.. ( will have to check the packet )

is the 3:1 ratio good?

As it's only mortar, 4 or 5 to 1 would be fine. Lumpy and stuck together sounds way out of date, and it's more than likely got damp.

Sponsored Links
The only bag I've ever used was three years ago and behaved like normal OPC if memory serves. I guess you get much higher odds of a bag of snowc4ete having been sat in on the shelf at the merchants for a while.

Last edited:
Actually, from memory, I seem to recollect that the snowcrete may not have the same sort of shelf life issues, but if it's gone lumpy, then that suggest the damps got into it.

I would; I expect it hasn't been store properly. Having said that, how long ago did you get it.

picked it up thurs or friday..

will have to dig the receipt out - amy chance I can take it back to a closer store? I was on a merry dance to get it. thought I had got it thru wickes - but when I got there ( about 40 mins drive ) they told me it had gone rock hard and helped me get it thru travis. turns out theres a travis round the corner from me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back