Snowcrete Render - Top coat only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Sorry if this sounds like an obvious question but I can find an answer anywhere.

I want to render my house with snowcrete to reduce the on-going maintenance.

Can I get away with only using snowcrete for the top coat only, or should the scratch be done using it as well? If I can restrict it to the top coat it'll save me some cash.

I was think of a scratch coat about 10mm thick and a top coat of 8mm. Does that sound about right? Walls are nice and straight to start with.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Scratch it with ordinary portland cement/sand scratch coat,, leave it a few days to set and cure, then use Snowcrete/sand for render top coat. Don't forget to measure each batch to get a consistent colour,, and dont forget the plasticiser/waterproofer in each batch either.

Many thanks for your input roughcaster.

I have being doing some research and have seen that one person mentions that a render top coat with snowcrete should be 8,1,1 or 6-1 with plasticiser instead of lime. The LaFarge website does say "Snowcrete has a higher final strength than ordinary Portland cement".

Do you think it sounds reasonable to use those ratios? I'm thinking the 6-1 with additives.

Also I want a white render as the finished product. I've send conflicting arguements recommending silver sand while others suggest white rendering sand. Do you have a view on this?

Thanks!

I think that 8 to 1 is pushing it a bit in my opinion. I would go 5/1 if it was me, 6/1 at most. The only time i've used Snowcrete as a finished render is on window/door reveals, the rest would have been as a white top coat, ready for roughcasting onto. We also added lime to lighten up each batch, so it was 5-1-1. I can't comment on the use of the white or silver sand, maybe the other lads on here can helo.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your time roughcaster and for your input Cotswoldbuilders.

What reason do you suggest sticking to plastering sand for?

I really want the finished render to be pure white to compliment our grey window frames, and I'm not sure plastering sand will come up white if used.

Thank you.

Plastering sand is for rendering , silver sand and building sand are too fine for rendering.

Ok, thanks very much guys.

So is there such a thing a white plastering sand? I've done a quick google but it doesn't come up with any good links to such a product.

Or should I use normal (yellow) plastering sand and adding something else to get a while render - I.e. an additive?

Thanks again!

Thanks Alastair.

I have seen the k rend products but i understood that k rend was applied by machine and they don't do a smooth finish, which is what I'm aiming for. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the links there.

I'd doesn't look to me like the k rend is desinged for a smooth finish, apart from the brick rend - but I think the cost of doing the 3 layers of k rend would be prohibitive.

Any other general advise for me if I'm looking to go down the snowcrete/silica sand route?

Thanks John, just found out that k rend is 12 a bag, and requires a bag per m sq....so puts it out of my price range for an option.

Cheers
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back