So annoying when you can see joins after painting ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe I just have bad luck but I seem to have this problem with every single plasterer I've used.

Recently just had a room skimmed by a plasterer(all onto board, butt joins + mesh tape), was a very neat job, corners are all perfect etc.... Just painted it and sadly I can see far too many plasterboard joins in the ceiling. It's like a faint shadow/bump along the joint lines. Can't see it so much in daylight but when the lights are on at night you can see where the boards are. Other than that it's a great job.

Only thing I can think of is they aren't putting on enough skim. It's annoying because now the room is all done, I'm sure the plasterer would offer to do it again but it's going to make a mess.

Any of you lot been called back for this problem? Dunno whether I'm being picky or what but to me, I don't think joins should be visible on a ceiling. Worse thing is as well, you don't know they're going to be visible until you paint it.

What is the cause?

Sponsored Links
sounds like either not enough skim being applied orrr the boards were taperd edge boards and if you dnt fill out these joints prior to skimming the setting can shrink back into the tapers and show up the joints, how long did you wait before painting??

I have to say I thought you were being picky until I saw the pics. MY guess is he's only done one coat rather than the standard two. I'm not convinced he's got his boards flush with each other either.

Sponsored Links
I have to say I thought you were being picky until I saw the pics. MY guess is he's only done one coat rather than the standard two. I'm not convinced he's got his boards flush with each other either.

I agree entirely about the boards not being flush. I was expecting to see wider ridges from tapered boards, as jr initially suggested, but with them being so fine, it certainly backs up joes thoughts. I initially thought they were being highlighted by the wall uplighters and bare bulb but then having seen the image with natural light, it looks just as bad (if not worse).

If you think the plasterer would put things right then it's worth getting in touch - a good spread won't make much mess. If there was a bit of a mess initially, it is often only because the plasterer doesn't need to be too careful if they know the whole room is being decorated afterwards.

I would have to agree, many take alot off when flatterning.

the job looks a goodun untill you look at the ceilin shame really i really cnt understand why some plasterers cnt be botherd to do things properly anymore, i can sort of see it if its a comercial site cos thier just pushed and pushed to get the m2 on but on a domestic job theres a different level of attention to detail required

It looks to me like the plaster slumped out of the join due to overworking it.
If so you might just be able to sand or scrape it back flush, then even it up with polyfilla where necessary.
Messy though!

It looks to me like the plaster slumped out of the join due to overworking it.
If so you might just be able to sand or scrape it back flush, then even it up with polyfilla where necessary.
Messy though!

:LOL: :LOL:

I prefer to tape ceilings or at least use a paper tape on the joints before skimming which leaves a better job. You could give it a coat of easy fill and feather it out to take the bad look off it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back