So come on, be honest, who observed the two minutes silence today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I forgot although I was doing nowt in any case. I've got the lads at mine putting me a shed base down.

Sponsored Links
Me. I spent the two minutes reflecting on what Britain sacrificed to make the world a better place.

I did.
Edit; I was brought up by my grandparents and my grandfather was one of those young ones that you hear about signing up to go to war, I dared not make a sound when anything like that was on.
He was 14 when he joined a queue in Glasgow to sign up. When they got refused because of their age in one queue, they went to the next one.
Eventually, he was accepted and had joined the R.A.M.C. He didn’t talk about it much but now and again he’d talk about having to pick up pieces of his mates who had been blown to bits.
The young ones of today don’t know they are born.

Last edited:
My wife said to me last night that she was going to the rememberance service at the town square today, i said to her that the rememberance service is always on the Sunday after the 11th of the 11th.
She said "your wrong, Friday is the 11th of the 11th, so it must be today", so i went with her to the war memorial, she always dresses respectfully for this occasion, wearing a Poppy and all that, so, we are standing at the war memorial and just before 11 and she says "where is everyone", just then this old lady with a shopping trolley stopped in front of us, she just stood still and looked towards the memorial, after a couple of minutes the wife asked her if she was was okay, she said she was observing the 2 minutes silence as her Grandfathers name was on the memorial.

I did and so did the rest of the college, including all staff and all students. We have a number of NHS trainees, being trained by NHS tutors, who rent some floor space in our building and they held their own tribute outside with their bugler and the blue lights silently flashing on their training vehicles.
Inside we had a young student bugler and he hit The Last Post, and The Reveille, note perfect! Pity he blew so hard with both tunes because it appeared to raise some latent dust that made everyones eyes water.

My wife said to me last night that she was going to the rememberance service at the town square today, i said to her that the rememberance service is always on the Sunday after the 11th of the 11th.
She said "your wrong, Friday is the 11th of the 11th, so it must be today", so i went with her to the war memorial, she always dresses respectfully for this occasion, wearing a Poppy and all that, so, we are standing at the war memorial and just before 11 and she says "where is everyone", just then this old lady with a shopping trolley stopped in front of us, she just stood still and looked towards the memorial, after a couple of minutes the wife asked her if she was was okay, she said she was observing the 2 minutes silence as her Grandfathers name was on the memorial.

We will be attending the one in our local town on Sunday and, as usual, I will be wearing my dads medals with pride on the right breast of my jacket and a red poppy in my left lapel.
I have no problems with people who don't wish to observe this ceremony or remember those who fell. That is their choice. But please respect the wishes of us that do want to continue, and be part of, these events. There is no call for sneering/snide remarks or arguments about who is right or wrong.

There was a small service at the Cenotaph in London today at 11am. The march past and official remembrance day is on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back