So Mrs T got something right then!

There is also oil gas and large mineral deposits through out Antartica, but everybody is banned from having any of it due to an agreement signed years ago

Sponsored Links
call it what you like....ill call it the falklands then thank you very much!

There is also oil gas and large mineral deposits through out Antartica, but everybody is banned from having any of it due to an agreement signed years ago

This is true and quite right too. Although Antarctica is nominally divided up on the map, none of those states, of which we are one, really own any of it.

But there was a problem at the time. Self appointed dictators do not have a good track record in abiding by international agreements. In addition to support gained at home for reclaiming what Argentinians still consider to be theirs, he would have had his foot a bit closer to the coal house door should it ever open.

Thermo, I also call them the Falklands.

The reason they invaded the falklands was because their government was in a lot of trouble, both economically and politically. It was done as a way to whip up national fervour and increase the popularity of the jaunta. It was an ill conceived and ill thought out plan in both political and military terms, with the argentines banking on the hope that britain would not send troops all that way to reclaim them. The us was in a little bit of a sticky situation since the un was trying to sort the matter out diplomatically and it was allied with both states. In the end though however reagan did come good and helped out in various ways. Are we paying for that aid now? I dont think so. When you look at the relationship that reagan had with thatcher at the time it really was the special relationship that so often gets mentioned. Blair and bush are a different ball game and are non-league compared to those two. they may both have been a little bit set in their ways but they were superb political diplomats who knew how to achieve their aims with the best intrests of the country at heart. Bearing in mind it was all set against a very different back drop in terms of world history eg cold war etc i think they put the poodles in power now to shame.

i have to say that for all the maggie bashing that gets done on this forum i am surprised by many of the positive comments that have been made and from some of the members! Good Old Maggie! ;)

Sponsored Links
The essence of the American special relationship is that America is special. This should not be any surprise to anyone who thinks about what it means to be a king. The president of America is a king in the real sense of wielding the power and authority of the most powerful state the world has ever known. His sworn responsibility is to maintain that power and dominance. We have a monarch in name, but in reality the king of the united kingdom is also an elected official, the prime minister. In some ways he has less personal power or freedom of action than the president, but in other ways he has more.

No one should ever imagine that America will do the slightest thing against its own percieved best interest. While the great threat to the world was russia, this made most of the rest of us allies. Now Russia is no longer Americas great threat. Many smaller issues worry the Americans. One of them is terrorists, another is guaranteed oil supplies. A third is the growing power of the EU which sometimes refuses to go along with what America wants.

Reagan and Thatcher were allies. They had similar political outlook and shared a common enemy. Most things were right for them to get along well and fight the same cause. Bush and Blair have rather different motives.

In Hitlers case, I think he enjoyed a happy coincidence of conviction AND personal gain.

Amerca isnt worried about the Eu cause it will never happen, and the EU could and never would threaten America in any way or vice versa.

Where you had some good points over the past 2 days you have now gone off on a fantasy run again.

Don't kid yourself, it will happen. The Euro will become the most important currency in the world and Europe will sort itself out and work together. Its combined economic and most probably military might will match both America and china It WILL happen. The only question is whether we will properly be a part of it. I think we most probably will, but people in this country have so little self confidence that they are afraid to take a lead in it.

The past 100 years Europe hasnt been able to do anything without some kind of help from America. There big chance came in Bosnia, what happened, they went grovelling to Bill Clinton to help them out.

Dont worry about China, it will all start to fall apart long before they ever get the chance become a major player

Freddie said:
Dont worry about China, it will all start to fall apart long before they ever get the chance become a major player
well I hope your wrong cos that'll be when they turn nasty. :eek:

oh i think you need to be a bit more careful of the chinese dragon

Richardp said:
Freddie said:
well I hope your wrong cos that'll be when they turn nasty. :eek:

I didnt mean China itself Richard although even thats possible as cival wars always happen in developing countries.

But in the early 1990's i watched some scientists say that with China's ambition to have a fridge/freezer in every household the enviromental damage would be huge, well there's enough problems now and now China wants everything aswell as a fridge but cant find enough fuel for its needs now never mind when they really get going to the extent of being a major player. Some parts of China are far worse poluted now than ever Europe and the USA was as the scale is much bigger--------------so my theory is with those scientists of over 10 years ago----something will give.

Damocles wrote.

I think we most probably will, but people in this country have so little self confidence that they are afraid to take a lead in it.

Of course it could be the complete opposite of this too, perhaps we have enough self confidence to go it alone, so to speak, as we did quite well before the EU came into being.

China is a perfect example of the western world shooting itself in the foot. Whilst people worry about how big they are getting our manufacturing companies are scrambling over each other to use their labour. All in the name of greed.

We started last century with the greatest empire in the world. By the middle of it we had lost virtually all of it. The next 30 years was spent getting used to the idea and overseeing the demise of almost all our traditional industry. This does not sound to me like 'doing quite well'.

Then we joined the modern world and the EU and things started to look up.

Damacles the reason why the Empire went shall we say have nothing to do with this and are infact in conflict with you beliefs of one country being in charge shall we say of another. Again you are going off on one.

Sponsored Links
Back