So Mrs T got something right then!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the good old french are clamering about as relinquishing our eu rebate. I didnt realise, but we are the ONLY country that gets the rebate, it cant be taken from us unless WE decide to forgo it, and its all down to the hard headedness of mrs thatcher, who masterminded the deal. We appear to receive it as we contribute so much, but receive a smaller amount in return compared to all the others. You may loathe her or love her but a nice legacy for the country 20 years on! (stand back light blue touch paper and.............................................

Sponsored Links
I'm coming round with the fire extinguisher now

Thermo said:
So the good old french are clamering about as relinquishing our eu rebate. .

They (=the French) should be made to pay it themselves after two weeks of operation STACK ! ! ! due to industrial action !

We still pay in a lot more than we get out though even after the rebate. I am curious if we we would still be in the EU if Maggie was still PM. She hated the EU and may of left or been thrown out by now.

You are right it is a good legacy, a better one would be getting us out altogether though.

Sponsored Links
Bonkers? yes, but she had more guts than any of her ministers, she was like John wayne on tamarzepan :LOL: .

Richardp said:
Bonkers? yes, but she had more guts than any of her ministers, she was like John wayne on tamarzepan :LOL: .

bloody hell Richard are you OK??? you had better have a lie down mate :LOL:

Hello "get off my land" Freddie, happy good friday, enjoy your hot cross buns. :D

She did pretty well with foreign affairs. She managed the trick of sounding fanatically anti-Europe but getting on very well with everyone and helping it to grow.

I never voted for the milk snatcher and I like her even less since she shared her biscuits with Pinochet but there's no denying one simple fact.

She gave us something that we would never have got from any Labour government in a month of Sundays - citizens band radio!

You have to give her credit for that.

Many people disagreed with the things she did, but you did at least get a sense that she did them through a deep conviction that she was doing the right thing for the country, and not for personal gain. Fast forward 20 years and you don't hear anyone thinking that about the current lot, do you.....

I think she will go down as a great leader, just a shame she lost the plot at the end though, and we ended up with major who i think will go down as a pile of poo, together with the ones he gave us now.

Maggie versus Blair......................no contest! At least she had the ba*ls to say no. Makes you wonder what he has got!! ;)

Old Ronnie was doing favours for her, not the other way about... Except that Blair's agreeing to invade might have had something to do with returning the favour.

Poll tax was a disaster. But it was not that. She started with a clear view of things which needed to be done to sort out the country. Trouble came when she had done them. Then what to do next? What does a lady who is not for turning do when she has reached her destination?

jtaunton said:
Many people disagreed with the things she did, but you did at least get a sense that she did them through a deep conviction that she was doing the right thing for the country, and not for personal gain. Fast forward 20 years and you don't hear anyone thinking that about the current lot, do you.....

This is one of the most truthful and genuine comments I have ever heard on this site.

Sponsored Links
Back