So Sad

I tried writing to several socket cover companies a couple of years ago, my experience was similar to fatallyflawed. I got the impression that none of them really had the first idea about electrical matters. One reply, from Safetots, really took the biscuit - here is an extract:

"Although we understand that the vast majority of homes are fitted with the 13-amp power sockets, unfortunately this is not the case with all homes."

Now, I ask you, what is the point of saying that? Neither Safetots nor, as far as I know, any other company sells socket covers for older round pin British sockets - but if they really think older sockets are an issue then why not?

Another thing which really highlights to me that none of these companies know what they are talking about is that they often have instructions on the packets saying "switch off the socket before fitting". Apart from the fact that not all sockets have switches (and when BS 1363 was first published it did not even allow switched sockets), if they had any confidence in their product having some benefit, they would not write such nonsense.

Sponsored Links
When I come across covers using oversize pins during a PIR I will always condemn the socket, and also seek reassurance from the client that similar covers have not been used in other sockets on the premises.
That is very interesting, I wonder if other PIR contractors take the same action?
Am I the only guy who does this?

When I come across covers using oversize pins during a PIR I will always condemn the socket, and also seek reassurance from the client that similar covers have not been used in other sockets on the premises.
I wonder if you, FatallyFlawed or anyone else have ever measured the pins on the unbiquitous plug-in power supplies/adaptors/transformers - at least some of which seem pretty 'tight'. Also, is BS1363 happy with the plastic earth pins which many/most of these devices have (I can't really see why not, but just wondered!)?

Kind Regards, John.

I wonder if you, FatallyFlawed or anyone else have ever measured the pins on the unbiquitous plug-in power supplies/adaptors/transformers - at least some of which seem pretty 'tight'. Also, is BS1363 happy with the plastic earth pins which many/most of these devices have (I can't really see why not, but just wondered!)?

Kind Regards, John.

I know that plug-in power supplies are regulated, and would not be allowed to be sold if they had incorrect pin sizes, but have not measured any myself and, so far, have not felt the need to do so. I have changed a socket because of a broken plastic pin from a charger being stuck in it though, it can be the quickest solution to that problem.

Sponsored Links

Kind Regards, John.
BS 1363 permits plastic earth pins, which are officially ISODs, or Insulated Shutter Opening Devices.

Before we started publishing socket cover measurements we took the same measurements for half a dozen plugs (two with ISODs) and half a dozen chargers (all with ISODs). Everyone was good. It is particularly noticeable that the ISODs were all well moulded with a decent finish and the correct profile at the pin end. It is clearly perfectly possible to mould with the required accuracy!

Of the more than 20 socket covers we have tested, only 1 has the correct dimensions for all three pins, but that one still fails because it has incorrect profiles and the pins were set too close to the edge.

BS 1363 permits plastic earth pins, which are officially ISODs, or Insulated Shutter Opening Devices.
Before we started publishing socket cover measurements we took the same measurements for half a dozen plugs (two with ISODs) and half a dozen chargers (all with ISODs). Everyone was good. It is particularly noticeable that the ISODs were all well moulded with a decent finish and the correct profile at the pin end. It is clearly perfectly possible to mould with the required accuracy!
Thanks for clarifying. The impression I get is that these "ISODs" are usually made from a harder (and more brittle!) plastic than the pins of most socket covers, which I imagine might faciliate more precise manufacture (and subsequent maintainence of manufactured shape/dimensions). Indeed, if covers were manufactured from a less flexible plastic (and to correct dimensions), I imagine that many of the hazards you have highlighted might diminish or vanish.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back