So, what next? just what do I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen tap, a cheap B and Q (nothing wrong with a cost effective item), 11 year old, no trouble at all, quarter turn kitchen mixer tap with ceramic doohdahs is dripping and so I want to renew the innards. I have removed the lever and cant remove the shroud (valve cover). It is jammed solid! My question is what can I do to remove it? I could twist it using a Mole Wrench or similar but that would surely make visible marks.
My questions are:
1. Is the shroud actually screwed on or merely sat there being held in place by years of grease etc in which case hard blows from a mallet might do the trick?
2. Is there something I could try , something like 3inone oil to ease it?
Failing that, it will have to be a new tap install. Not right when we should be saving the planet.
Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
Shroud will unscrew looking at the photo. Pair of grips and a cloth to protect the chrome should do it.

If not try some WD40 squirted inside the shroud to soak into the threads or even white vinegar.

Also try doing it up a little first. Sounds counter intuitive but the smallest of movements will start to break the crud and make removal easier.

Jon

Good luck finding ceramic doodahs to fit a B&Poo tap, there are many many different versions of ceramic doodah in the world, all very slightly different. Only an exact match will fit. Might end up more trouble than it's worth. Try www.ceramicdoodahs.com to see the most comprehensive range

That shroud should just unscrew though if you fancy a challenge. WD40 sprayed inside might help, as might wrapping a wide elastic band around it to help you grip

Last edited:
Good luck finding ceramic doodahs to fit a B&Poo tap, there are many many different versions of ceramic doodah in the world, all very slightly different. Only an exact match will fit. Might end up more trouble than it's worth. Try www.ceramicdoodahs.com to see the most comprehensive range

That shroud should just unscrew though if you fancy a challenge. WD40 sprayed inside might help, as might wrapping a wide elastic band around it to help you grip
Just looked at prices on the doohdah website. Can buy complete taps for less than some of em.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
btw to get a seized shroud off, use a Strap Wrench (from a place that sells tools) or a jar and bottle opener (from a place that sells kitchenware). It is made of a rubbery plastic that will grip and not scratch.

If you happen to have any Elastoplast strapping, you can tape that tightly round a smooth shroud before using ordinary grips, it will reduce the risk of slipping or scratching from the metal jaws.

I have to say that any that I cannot open with grips and cardboard to avoid scratching are unlikely to open with a bottle opener.

But a very good tip is to pour boiling water over the shroud immediately before trying to open it.

Tony

Pleased to say though, Plumbers were saving the planet long before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon, metals used by the trade have long been collected and recycled after reaching the end of their useful life in a current guise. Most taps are made from brass, so majority is recyclable, and could help make a new tap. :D

Pleased to say though, Plumbers were saving the planet long before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon, metals used by the trade have long been collected and recycled after reaching the end of their useful life in a current guise. Most taps are made from brass, so majority is recyclable, and could help make a new tap. :D

Yeh but only because we get paid for our scrap. Otherwise we couldn't give a flying fook:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back