So, whats the opinion on this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening
Had the lid off the consumer unit to check something and found some disconnected wires laying inside the box. Now I realise that they are not likely to move into harms way, but to me, its not safe. The one in the chock block simply exits the bottom of the consumer unit and terminates with bare conductors in the cupboard. The bare ends of the thick wires near the cable entry point (arrowed but not really visible in the photo) I don't know where they terminate the other end. Probably behind the tiles in the kitchen.

Apart from that, the circuit for the electric shower had a loose earth and also there was a loose earth on one of the ring mains.

Sponsored Links
Check they're dead, cut and chuck if it bothers you. Check all connections are secure if you haven't already, and you could get a PIR if you're worried about the general state of the electrics.

Looks untidy could do with a general clean up, I don't like the bare wires showing on the neutral cable to the right of the photo.

Cheers for the comments.
Ive already removed the dead wires and tightened the loose connections. I was just curious as to wether it was a case of

"Its a bit messy but OK" or
"Was the previous owner trying to kill himself?"

The thing i really didnt like was the bare conductor laying in a box with a live busbar and the other bare end laying in the cupboard below.

But based on your comments it looks like no. 1 is more the case. I blame my day job for making me question it (medical electronics)

Have a good weekend :)

Sponsored Links
If you are not sure where the cables go, or think they could be utilised in the future, fit some connector blocks on the ends. You can tape up the connector blocks if it will make you happier.

Tape up the ends as said and push them to one side away from the busbar and it'll be alright.

Other points - no RCD, ensure that you use a plug in RCD adapater for garden tools

Those look like old square D Qo-x breakers, type 4 iirc, and the max zs to hit 0.4 disconnection on anything exceeding a 20A device is unlikely to be met in a domestic setting

Other points - no RCD, ensure that you use a plug in RCD adapater for garden tools

Blimey. Well im slighly embarrassed to say that I never noticed that and all this time I thought the house was RCD protected!

Yes there are outdoor sockets. And I assume that any new electrical work in a kitchen/bathroom requires RCD protection now, so I guess its a new consumer unit some time soon - more expense :(

I'll get a plug in rcd for when using the outdoor sockets which will make me feel happier in the short term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back