So who are electricians?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the weekend approaches ....

I suspect like many others, when I first started lurking in this forum (long before I started participating), I tended to assume that those who regularly posted knowledgeable and seemingly 'authorititative' messages were electricians - and that those who asked seemingly fairly basic questions, or who wrote 'surprising' things, were non-electricians. However, as time went on, I came to realise/discover that this was far from always the case.

Over time, a significant proportion of regular contributors have revealed, explicitly or implicitly, which of the camps they are in - but that still leaves a fair number whose 'status' I would not bet my shirt on!

I realise that some electricians may be reluctant to 'declare' that they are, because of a perceived additional burden of responsibility/liability that might place on them when responding to questions, and I also understand that there are some 'grey areas' (e.g. retired electricians, 'industrial electricians' and electrical engineers) - but my curiosity would be interested to know how many people are prepared to 'come out' and explicitly declare which side of the fence they are on!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

I will get the ball rolling then!

I am self employed carrying out mainly electrical and joinery work. Not registered with any scheme at present, instead I tend to use LABC several times per year for signing off. I always make customers aware of the legal obligations of the Building Regs, and quite often turn work away if it not financially feasible to go through LABC. Looking to join NAPIT or NIC soon tho as have twins on the way!

I do not contribute that much to the electrical side of questions on here for two main reasons: I lack some experience so do not always feel it appropriate to 'chip in'; others on here always seem to get in earlier.

This is generally a better forum than others I find. Screwfix full of idiots, IET too serious.

So the side of the fence I sit on is as a semi-spark!!!! :confused: This because I feel there is plenty to learn before I could consider myself a proper spark.

Regards.

I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on, except it's opposite to the side BAS is on. :LOL: :LOL:

I used to design and install industrial, commercial and farm installations some with 11kV. Electricians did the physical work, for which I was responsible. When the NICEIC inspector came to inspect my jobs, I accompanied him and I carried the can if anything wasn't right.

That all finished in 1968; I got a better job and moved on out of contracting. I'm retired now.

Sponsored Links
I am a self-employed electriian, worked as a panel wirer in my younger days and spent a lot of time in the concrete manufacturing industry, but my dad taught me how to dry-line, tape joint and plasterer when I was a wee nipper. Also do a bit of plumbing and have some qualifications.
The last company I worked for was for over eighteen years doing various managerial and maintenance work.
Been in and out of the domestics for a few years, mostly pre-part p. When that came in decided to get all the relevant qualifications and have a go myself.
Don't claim to know everything, never will. But I will try not to kill you :!:

PS The prolific posters on here (BAS, PBD, JOHNW2(!) etc etc) must be retired or earn a lot of money to have enough spare time to post as they do!

I barely have time to take a p1sh most days!

So what is your position John?

Regards.

So, PBD, you are similar to me - self employed with all the chasing around and paperwork etc.....so.....how the hell do you find the time to put so many posts on here?! :D

Not in any way having a go as I find your posts are generally succinct, accurate, informative and to the point.

Regards.

PS I percieve the OP to be a little past his fellatio days!! Apologies John If I am incorrect!

I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on, except it's opposite to the side BAS is on. :LOL: :LOL: I used to ....That all finished in 1968; I got a better job and moved on out of contracting. I'm retired now.
Thanks. Another 'grey area', then :)

Kind Regards, John

So, .....how the hell do you find the time to put so many posts on here?! :D
It's all about time management, if I have the time I will manage!
Normally leave all the paper work and reports for one day during the weekend.
Gets me out of the shopping.
I find your posts are generally succinct, accurate, informative and to the point.
You've been drinking ;)

PS I percieve the OP to be a little past his fellatio days!! Apologies John If I am incorrect!
Definitely incorrect, so I will accept your apology :)

In terms of age, I've got a year or three to go before I reach 'retirement age', although my bank balance and accountant seem agreed that I will never be able to retire!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back