Soak away Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to perform a soak away "test" in my garden, by digging a hole, filling it with water, and timing it.

The results were... slow.

Does anyone know what the times should be ?? I live in Sussex, on clay.

Sponsored Links
kojakb
hi give more info ...
is it only off a drive ... or the side of the house ... full back of house , ... have you any gully pots/drains outside the property ??????????????????

tell us then help :)

Drains at front of the house, and I've had to do the test at the back.

kojakb said:
I have had to perform a soak away "test" in my garden, by digging a hole, filling it with water, and timing it.

The results were... slow.

Does anyone know what the times should be ?? I live in Sussex, on clay.

I would imagine that a precolation test on clay would take a hell of a long time! Never carried out a test other than on sand (which took several hours to drain).

I would image that the results will show that your soil is not suitable for a soakaway, or you will need a pretty big one :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Soakaways and clay dont mix, the results will be slow.. it can take beyond 12hrs to complete 1 test.

kojakb said:
I have had to perform a soak away "test" in my garden, by digging a hole, filling it with water, slow.

? I live in Sussex, on clay.
Is there any other soil here.apart from chalk :oops: Is it for a foul drain/ septic tank

So any ideas as to what to do with my rain water off my roof etc then ???

well my idea is best as your a southerner , get two big water butts on the down spout of the gutter , as water shortages etc

you can can have a hose drain-off at top of butts on a sprinkler system around garden , lidl /aldi cheap shop do a good sprinkler system for 15 quid

What did your soakaway test do?? if your soil has a low infiltration rate then it just means a bigger soakaway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back