Socket from hell

I suspect I have a few like that, cupboard with a hole to reach socket, this house some without hole, if fuse in plug for extension lead blows, it is a case of moving the unit.

Kitchen is slightly more of a problem as the work top is often sealed to the wall, and you want at least a lip to stop items falling off back of shelf, however I would just extend hole to left.

Sponsored Links
I suspect I have a few like that, cupboard with a hole to reach socket, this house some without hole, if fuse in plug for extension lead blows, it is a case of moving the unit.

Kitchen is slightly more of a problem as the work top is often sealed to the wall, and you want at least a lip to stop items falling off back of shelf, however I would just extend hole to left.

One hidden alongside a built-in wardrobe and another behind a unit in the kitchen, behind drawers, so easy to simply remove drawers to access. Bedroom one powers a TV at ceiling height, via extension.

We have some rules.
* Do stagger the position of sockets on opposite sides of the separating wall.
* Do not use deep sockets and chases in the separating wall, and do not place sockets back to back.
* Do not locate sockets back to back. A minimum edge to edge stagger of 150mm is recommended. Do not chase plasterboard.
* Wall-mounted switches and socket outlets in habitable rooms are reasonably accessible to people who have reduced reach.
* Switches and sockets, including door bells, entry phones, light switches, power sockets, TV aerials and telephone jacks, serving habitable rooms throughout the dwelling have their centre line 450-1200mm above floor level, as shown in Diagram 1.5.
* Switches, sockets, stopcocks and controls have their centre line between 450mm and 1200mm above floor level and a minimum of 300mm (measured horizontally) from an inside corner.
* A power socket is provided within the space. (This refers to entrance halls for wheel chair transfer)
* A power socket suitable for powering a stair-lift is provided close to the foot or head of any stair to which a stair lift may be fitted.
* Switches, sockets, stopcocks and controls, except controls to radiators, are located with their centre line 700-1000mm above floor level and a minimum of 700mm (measured horizontally) from an inside corner, and are not positioned behind appliances. (Seems to be referring to bathrooms which seems a bit odd.)
* Switches to double socket outlets are located at the outer ends of the plate (rather than in the centre).
* Suitable provision is made in the principal bedroom to install bedhead controls in the future (comprising a 2-way light switch, telephone and broadband socket, TV aerial and power socket outlets, and the door entry phone provision described above, grouped adjacent to the head of the bed), for example, by providing blank sockets, conduit and draw wires. (Think for wheel chair users.)
* A main electrical power socket and a telephone point are provided together in the main living space.
* It is also an advantage if individual switches on panels and on multiple socket outlets are well separated, or in the form of large touch plates, to avoid the inadvertent selection of an adjacent control by visually impaired people and people with limited dexterity.
* wall-mounted socket outlets, telephone points and TV sockets are located between 400mm and 1000mm above the floor, with a preference for the lower end of the range;
* socket outlets are located consistently in relation to doorways and room corners, but in any case no nearer than 350mm from room corners;
* switched socket outlets indicate whether they are ‘on’;
* Wall-mounted socket-outlets, switches and consumer units in new dwellings should be easy to reach, in accordance with Part M of the Building Regulations (Access to and use of buildings).

The question where can I fit sockets so not hidden by furniture is not easy, when we look at the rules, and I had until today been unaware of many of the Approved Document recommendations including height of sockets behind a TV.

I would love to see the home of the person who wrote the document. I have seem many a house
upload_2022-1-22_12-36-40.png
with either no electric or only electric was from a generator, to say a socket must be this or that seems a bit daft when there may not even be a socket.

I was going to post a picture of a Kerosene wall lamp, but it seems even those today need power found this advert.
Transparent Glass Kerosene Lantern Wall Lighting Nautical Hallway Wall Mount Lamp - 220V-240V Bronze 1-Light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back