Socket Height in new extension and loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,,,

Just wondering about the heights of light switches and power sockets on an extension and loft conversion on the same house.

I have done a search and im pretty sure that you will say the 450 & 1200mm rule does not apply but i just wanted to double check as all the search results are form a while back.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless the extension is specifically for the disabled then the new Part M heights will not apply. Best check with Building Control anyway.....

There's no requirement to site sockets at Part M heights for extensions to existing buildings, UNLESS the extension is specifically for the use of the disabled. (not likely in a loft conversion!!)

Sponsored Links
Best check with Building Control anyway.....

And give the bureaucrats a chance to try and insist upon something which isn't necessary? Why bother? The regulations state clearly enough that Part M does not apply to an extension or material alteration of an existing dwelling.

I ended up calling the Building Inspector and he confirmed that that Part M does not apply and i can place them anywhere i like :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back