height of sockets and switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing my new loft conversion for the electrician. Can any one tell me the correct height for the sockets and light switches as I want to make sure that I am compliant for building control

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In a new build socket and switches would require to be between 450mm and 1200mm from finished floor.

Very likely in a loft conversion, building controls would not be concerned about heights of sockets and switches, unless the property previously complied to part m of building regs.

But saying that, I have now got accustomed to installing sockets and switches at these heights, and it seems to work well.

Who dreamt up this nonesence? Assuming it is to the centre line of the fitting 1200mm above floor level is just about OK for sockets above a worktop. But FCUs for cooker hoods, under cupboard lights etc need to be higher, out of the way under the cupboards.
Ordinary light switches in most houses are around 1500mm high which seems optimum to me.
450mm minimum height for sockets seems a high as well. A quich wizz around show mine to average 350mm which seems better.

Assuming it is to the centre line of the fitting 1200mm above floor level is just about OK for sockets ...

To be BETWEEN 450 & 1200, the top of your switches & sockets would need to be no higher than 1200.

Regarding FCUs for the likes of cooker hoods, bathroom fan isolation and the like, that are really only for occasional 'service' isolation, I don't believe this rule applies.

Sponsored Links
Who dreamt up this nonesence?
Some complete idiot with the stupid, stupid idea that we should start to make the housing stock more suitable for people with restricted mobility, rather than continuing to build houses where people who do have such problems cannot, as is only right and proper, do things like reach sockets or switches.

Probably a close relative of yours.

I have worked in many properties, where the property is either lived in or frequented by persons with restricted reach. The regulation makes perfect sense to me. And in properties that are bespoke for restricted reach occupants, then further steps in kitchens, bathroom, cloakrooms etc.. and smoke alarms systems should be made, to make functional operation much easier.

You should be able to have the sockets and switches at the height you want them, as this is not a new build.

I like to see the light switches 55 inches to the top, if you can't get a mean average from your existing ones.

I thought the dda heights were rediculous at first, but I actually prefer them now.

It's great being able to plug something in without having to get on my hands and knees.

I don't see how making all new houses suitable for both able bodied and disabled people can be anything but a good idea. It takes no more work to install to the new heights.

Presumably it would be permissible to site a light switch 450 mm up from the floor...

I don't see how making all new houses suitable for both able bodied and disabled people can be anything but a good idea.
Agreed. However, I've heard various groups of disabled people complaining that the prescribed heights are less-than-ideal (or worse!) for those with their particular type of disability. I guess that, as with most things, it's impossible to please (or satisfy the needs of) all the people for all of the time.

Kind Regards, John

I also really like the new heights. They seem odd next to old positions (in a rewire for example) but once you get used to them, they make sense.

And anything that keeps sockets away from skirting boards is a definite plus

I also really like the new heights. They seem odd next to old positions (in a rewire for example) but once you get used to them, they make sense.

And anything that keeps sockets away from skirting boards is a definite plus

In a rewire generally I would stick to the old heights as if there is switch drops and boxes already in there's no point not reusing them.

On an aside, it's all very well doing all this stuff to make disabled peoples lives easier but when you have to go up 7 steps to get into the property in the first place I can't help thinking it's all a bit OTT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back