Socket is going to be hidden behind cupboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m building a cupboard and there’s a double socket (on a ring) that’s going to be hidden behind it, which is a problem when it comes to maintenance and accessibility of that socket. I’d also like to take advantage and run a flex out to a new socket installed on the side of the cupboard.
I’m thinking that using wagos (as a maintenance free item) that I could simply join the ring and run a flex out to the new socket, however I’m unable to find a double blanking plate with flex outlet. Does anyone know if they exist and if that’s the right way to do it?
Converting the double backbox (fitted into insulated plasterboard) to a 1+1 backbox could be done, but then would I need to use a spur switch (which would also need means of access for maintenance)?

Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I’m building a cupboard and there’s a double socket (on a ring) that’s going to be hidden behind it, which is a problem when it comes to maintenance and accessibility of that socket.
Cut a suitable hole in the back of the cupboard.
. I’d also like to take advantage and run a flex out to a new socket installed on the side of the cupboard.
I’m thinking that using wagos (as a maintenance free item) that I could simply join the ring and run a flex out to the new socket, however I’m unable to find a double blanking plate with flex outlet.
Drill a hole in a blank plate and fit a gland.
Does anyone know if they exist and if that’s the right way to do it?
Converting the double backbox (fitted into insulated plasterboard) to a 1+1 backbox could be done, but then would I need to use a spur switch (which would also need means of access for maintenance)?

Thanks, Dave

Can't cut a hole as a shelf needs to go slap bang across the socket, and shelf height can't be changed.
What type of gland did you mean? like just an open grommet with a tie wrap to strain relief the cable (not sure if that's allowable?) or a compression gland?

Sponsored Links
Wago's are only maintenance free when used with a suitable junction box, If your building a wardrobe why not lift the floorboards and do your join under them and then route up to new socket

Thanks for all your replies!
Normally I would consider making an access panel of some sort or removable shelf, but the cupboard is really small and I wouldn't like to be the one twisting my back at all sorts of angles to squeeze in there to check the wiring of a socket. Plus also the wires come from above and the floor is concrete so that's unfortunately ruled out too.
I didn't want to overcomplicate something seemingly so simple but it either seems the gland idea (which means the gland pokes out a bit especially when allowing not too tight a bend on the cable), or else I reckon change the backbox for a 1+1 and fit one standard blank plate and one flex outlet blank plate.
As I'm connecting just one socket radially I don't think a spur switch is required?
It's just a shame I can't find a double blank plate with flex outlet that runs downwards, as to me that seems the simplest option.

Get a thick blanking plate and file a slot in the edge so that the cable exits down/up/sideways to suit. neater than a plate with a gland on it

You could get a 4 gang grid plate, fit three blank modules, and one flex outlet module.

And use 2.5mm2 3 core flex.

Or if you only have the more usual 1.5mm2 3 core flex, use the grid plate, two blank modules, a 13 amp fuse module, and a flex outlet module.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back