Socket locations in new Kitchen

We may all accept that an led driver is not a transformer but that does not alter the fact that there are now wire-wound transformers and electronic transformers (even if for no other reason than that is what the manufacturers call them).
It was meant to be implicit in what I wrote that I don't have too much of a problem with 'electronic transformer' (even if when it is abbreviated to 'transformer'), provided that both input and output are AC (and ideally the same frequency). Indeed, if it were a 'black box with terminals', one wouldn't necessarily know (from its functionality) whether what was inside the box was a wire-wound transformer or some electronics.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But the term electronic transformer is wrong even if the manufacturers use it. They are simply switch mode power supplies.

The output of such devices is not the same frequency as the input, it is very much higher and changes with the loading and input voltage.

You can certainly tell a black box by its functionality, just put a voltmeter on its output and see if you get a sensible reading.

No, you don't but winston seems to think it important.
Well, I have some sympathies ... these 'abuses' (adaptations) of established terminology do niggle me a bit, too, but life is too short to get too excited once the 'adapted' terminology comes to be established/common usage.

... as I wrote earlier, I still wince a little whenever I hear an electrician talking about a 'continuity test' when what (s)he means is a quantitative low resistance measurement!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, I have some sympathies ... these 'abuses' (adaptations) of established terminology do niggle me a bit, too,
There does seem to be a shortage of words.
Most words mean more than one thing so maybe it is not the same meaning of transformer.

but life is too short to get too excited once the 'adapted' terminology comes to be established/common usage.
Got excited once, didn't like it.

as I wrote earlier, I still wince a little whenever I hear an electrician talking about a 'continuity test' when what (s)he means is a quantitative low resistance measurement!
Yes but we are, surely, primarily confirming 'continuousness' of the conductors.

as I wrote earlier, I still wince a little whenever I hear an electrician talking about a 'continuity test' when what (s)he means is a quantitative low resistance measurement!
Yes but we are, surely, primarily confirming 'continuousness' of the conductors.
Indeed you are, but (as you almost say) a 'continuity test' is essentially qualitative (well, strictly, dichotomous). You can do it with your cheapo multimeter on its continuity/'buzzer' range (or with a battery and bulb), and you should record the answer as 'yes' ('continuousness is present') or 'no' ('continuousness is not present'). The threshold between 'yes' and 'no' obviously corresponds to some arbitrarily pre-determined resistance.

On the other hand, if you actually want to measure and record the magnitude of the low resistance (i.e. to quantify the degree of 'continuousness'), then that's 'resistance measurement', not 'continuity testing'.

However, as I said, when in the company of electricians, it makes far more sense to simply accept their use of the terminology than to argue with it, or get upset about it, even on a Friday evening!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back