Socket next storage heater help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I have some old storage heater in my house, when I moved in the bedroom had not long been plastered and the socket was hanging off the wall. I got the right screws started screwing back on the wall but as it got closer and closer to the wall you would here a hiss sound.

So took the box off had a look for scorch/burning none visible, so I decided to look at the switch which was hard to push on or off and sure enough it was burned out, so I am in need of a new wall socket.

Now I have looked online and the ones I have seen don't look like mine, mine has 2 earths on the back of it and doesn't have a fuse slot like the ones I have seen, it does have a neon, can someone please point me in the right direction, for the right part I need please.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I looked at b&q can't seem to find?
can you take a look please see if you can see what i will need?

thanks for reply

Sponsored Links
Yes it would, though it would proberly be cheaper in a store like b+q or wickes, niglon is only a budget brand, if its a proper night storage supply then if you get that one with a light on, it will only light at night time when the storage heater supply is on, during the day the light will be off

Yea I understand this as all other heaters in the house work fine.
Just the one in the bedroom the actual on off switch burned? any ideas as to why?

I went and ordered the niglon as it looks alot like the current one, and as i am only renting don't really want to spend fortunes

storage heaters tend to take a lot of electrical current, some of the cheaper switches just fail after a few years just simply because they cant cope with the load.
if you could post a picture of the old one, the cause may be evident

... as i am only renting don't really want to spend fortunes
If you're renting, shouldn't it be down to the landlord to sort this out (and pay for it!)? Indeed, does your tenancy agreement actually allow you to do work like this yourself?

Kind Regards, John

I purchased this one with neon today for £5.43
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang-20a-dp-switch-white/44956

and yea john it should be up to the landlord, but if that was the case he wouldn't of let me move in with them hanging off the wall, anyways its no rocket science to wire a socket. I mean if I was to wait for the landlord I really don't have any hope it would be done, for the sake of a £5 its done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back