Socket not quite flush, bead of silicone or decorators caulk?

e.g.

BG818.JPG
Thats interesting, not seen one of those, that should be the answer to the problem.

Sponsored Links
It often happens, it cannot be easy, getting it level around a protruding box in the wall. If the high part, is above the edges of the box, the OP may be able to sand the high spots down some.
Not sure I follow that Harry, I may have missunderstood you though.
Providings that the box is flush or lower than the existing level of plaster then plastering flat and level to the local plaster is not a big problem. Only if the box is seated proud above the plaster level (example at one corner) will there be a problem

Not sure I follow that Harry, I may have missunderstood you though.
Providings that the box is flush or lower than the existing level of plaster then plastering flat and level to the local plaster is not a big problem. Only if the box is seated proud above the plaster level (example at one corner) will there be a problem

A box edge poking above the general plaster level, will make it very difficult to get the plaster truly level around the box. I had in mind, to file the sticky up edge of the box down, combined with sanding the plaster back to level.

|Agreed Harry, but my point was it would be the box that is not sited correctly - flush or below.
Although most plasterers would probably be able ti improve things a bit if it is only a bit that is needed but it would be the box not the plastering that is in error

Sponsored Links
|Agreed Harry, but my point was it would be the box that is not sited correctly - flush or below.
Although most plasterers would probably be able ti improve things a bit if it is only a bit that is needed but it would be the box not the plastering that is in error

Maybe, or it could be the plaster, trying to skimp on plaster use.

Thats interesting, not seen one of those, that should be the answer to the problem.
But if you think about it, all that will achieve is the socket will stand out of the wall by 5mm and you will still have a gap to the wall that you have to fill! Listen to your wife......
Given that my mrs wants me to just leave it and thinks i am fussing over nothing

That would bug me.
I'd be taking the back box out or sanding it flush.

Or at the worst, use that packer posted previously.

Sealant of any kind in a kitchen quickly looks awful.
Wouldn't want it anyway near a plug socket where water is a potential.

But thats just me.

I think that without a photo (and maybe even then) we don't know if the problem is just that there is not enough space inside the box to fit the socket far enough back. I understood that the OP was reluctant to take the socket off to see, but I think that's the only way to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back