socket set?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just a quick question as to what people recomend, need a socket set, works quiet at the moment so moneys tight, so cant go spending as much as i would like but seen thease 2 sets and cant make my mind up as there both simalar, never used sealy stuff so cant say, but have used and got draper Expert stuff and found it very good. At the moment its just for basic car work, and going for 3/8th drive, as a compromise between 1/4 and 1/2 or would it be best to go for 1/2"? just think it may be to big inside a enigne bay. any advise is welcome, thanks.
http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk...sq-drive-6pt-walldrive-174-duometric-174.html
Or
http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk...e-3-8-inch-sq-dr-metric-socket-set-d33mn.html

Sponsored Links
3/8 drive will be fine for most stuff in the engine bay. Have a look at halfords professional range too, their tools are excellent value and carry a lifetime guarantee.
Im not that keen on sealey stuff although they are good value, draper expert ive never had any problems with

I Like Halfords pro stuff, too. Good quality, reasonable price and if one breaks they are generally OK at just swapping it in the store. 3/8 is a good general size. You might find you need the odd bigger one but you can scoop these up as you have the need. If it's modern engines you might also need some star sockets and torx bits.

alot of people seem to rate halfords pro stuff so will check them out. I all ready have quite alot of torx / hex bits that my mate gave to me as hes given up repairing his car and finds it easier to pay someone. And yeah its a modern engine (4 years old). One thing i notices with the draper and sealy i linked to was that the sealy grips on the flats where draper on corners.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you decide on, always go for hexagonal sockets, and not bi-hex
Bi-hex scockets will round the corners off stubborn nuts and bolts, due to them only gripping the corners of said nuts and bolts.

Wotan

Halfords Pro......many of their sets have hex sockets which are deep drive too - can't beat them at that price.
John :)

I treated myself to a new one last year- -- 'Britool' from 'tooled-up' on line.
Absolutely excellent set . Half inch drive . Price was good.
Dot mess about with 3 eights drive stuff --they are for amateurs.
Halfords stuff is too expensive for what it is .

'TIP''-- if you do shop on 'tooled-up'. Make sure you look on internet for discount codes first. They always have them floating around .

The britool set will last you a lifetime .

Remember- 'buy cheap' - 'Buy Twice'.

3/8" drive stuff for amateurs, huh? :p
For smaller engines and motorbikes etc, 1/2" stuff often won't go near.....
Every drive size has its applications.

3/8" drive stuff for amateurs, huh? :p
For smaller engines and motorbikes etc, 1/2" stuff often won't go near.....
Every drive size has its applications.

I have the Halfords 'suitcase' set, the 1/4" stuff is useful for garden machinery.
I used 1/2 once on the car and snapped a rocker bolt clean off. :oops: Won't use anything less than 1/4 on that now.

I use really good quality 19mm, 13mm and 10mm sockets in different lengths - the rest I never use. Never used 14 or 15mm in my life, so any old socket will do for them.

Japanese stuff mustn't come your way often then Joe - they tend to favour 12, 14 and 15mm nuts and bolts.

hi guys, went over to halfords and picked up the 90 pc advanced pro, for £60. cant complain at price, and quality seems very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back