Soffits - Paint or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've bought a house and the wooden soffits have clearly seen better days (I've attached pictures of the worst bit, just outside the bathroom window). My question is: can I get away with simply getting someone to repaint them, or are they too far gone and need to be replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20230807_191212630.jpg
    PXL_20230807_191212630.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20230807_191138172.jpg
    PXL_20230807_191138172.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
It could last for years without creating major problems, even without paint. Replacement soffits and fascias will be a near permanent improvement though.

Blup

It could last for years without creating major problems, even without paint. Replacement soffits and fascias will be a near permanent improvement though.

Blup
Really? That's better news than I thought. Some of those black spots look like mould of some kind to me - am I wrong about that, or is it just that mould isn't as bad for wood as I think?

Sponsored Links
Wood even when rotting will last longer than you might think, plastic is the way to go for low maintenance and appearance, unless you have a listed building.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back