Soffits - spray paint vs roller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how much (if any) difference spray painting wooden soffits makes compared to painting with a roller?

I originally got quoted £1.3k to get my soffits painted, and was told the paint should last around 5 years before I need to get it replaced. I thought that was a bit pricy, so I got a second quote from another company. The second quote was £700, but apparently they can only guarantee the work for 2 years without any cracking/peeling paint. Those quotes are wildly different, and the only thing I can think of that might account for it is that the second company spray paints whereas the first one does not. The second company tell me that their 2 year estimate is on the pessimistic sode and I could probably go longer than that without needing to repaint, but that still doesn't explain one quote being nearly double the other.

I am confused. Can anyone help shed any light on this please?

For context, the house is a semi-detached, and while the soffits have some cracked paint and definitely need a good wipe down, they're not completely wrecked. Neither company reckon the job would need scaffolding.

Sponsored Links
I'm spray painting bedrooms at the moment (40 years of roller painting) and the quality of finish is of no comparison (spray is better for me).
The preparation time is daunting though but once complete, rooms are covered in no time at all.
In any job, preparation and keying are the essential elements so perhaps the difference is in prep-time.
Costs are falling as the depression is now hurting so you will find that by this time next year, people will be working for food.
Contract is the key here. Outline what you want and what you expect and what happens if things are not as agreed. Put it in a simple paragraph and then both sign it and both have copies.
Then if it goes wrong, your contract will be the reference point

Spraying outside? What about neighbours cars and property with overspray?

Paint guarantees is a grey area. If we get another long hot summer like last year it will damage / bleech paint. You think 3 years down the line they will come back and will be happy to strip it off and paint it all again for free?

Up so high it can't be seen very well so id use a roller and brush.

£700 seems cheap. Fill. Undercoat. 2 top coats. Up ladder or scaffolding? Looking at 3 days work minimum just with recoat times, plus materials...

What kind of preparation are both companies offering??

I have noticed many spray companies are allergic to sandpaper.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back