Soft close drawers close too fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My "soft-close" bedside cabinets close too quickly and with a loud bang. Rubber pads don't help.

I cannot see the manufacturer's name nor any way to get to the mechanism. These are solidly built cabinets.

I don't know how to fix this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-093759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-093759_Gallery.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20220624-093750_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-093750_Gallery.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220624-093742_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-093742_Gallery.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Thank you. Looking from underneath the drawer, I see the metal runners. the draersth u.
Screenshot_20220624-102739_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored Links
ER....update.. Thank you very much for the inspiration. I was able to remove the drawer to find the runner mechanism. Taking photographs then using Google Photos and its Lens App, the existing runners were identified as 400mm Undermount / concealed Soft Close runners. They seem to be sold under several name including DTC, Infinity, Fusaier and Blum. Prices vary between £80 a pair (can than be correct, but prices do seem crazy at present?) and £16 a pair.

As I'd need 14 pairs of runners, I'll test a pair of new runners first to check for sizes and force of closing. Some seem to be adjustable so that might work.

As an alternative to replacing all runners, I'll also test the cheaper plunger-buffer suggestion per your link. That may not work as space is tight and they'd need to be very strong to cope with the closing power of the existing "soft close" runners.

Freddiemercurystwin, I've moved here 2 months ago and these free-standing cabinets were left. They are very solid. All the 14 drawers have operated the same (fast) way. If a drawer was closing while one's hand was there, it could probably result in a nasty bruise. Thanks again.

They seem to be sold under several name including DTC, Infinity, Fusaier and Blum. Prices vary between £80 a pair (can than be correct, but prices do seem crazy at present?) and £16 a pair.
Yes, the prices can vary that much. Julius Blum is probably the original designer of these items. They are arguably the market leader (maybe alongside Hettich) and a major innovator in cabinetry ironmongery, but their stuff being the best doesn't come cheap, in part because it is manufactured in Germany (although I suspect you are maybe looking at full retail price, not what the trade actually pays at a bulk quantity discounted price). One thing Blum don't need to do is sub-contract manufacture for others, so the cheaper ones you are looking are undoubtedly Chinese knock-offs

I have never heard of any of those manufacturers other than Blum, who have been a major since at least the 1950s, so I did a bit of Googling. As far as I can tell DTC is Guangdong Dongtai Hardware Group, Fusiaer is Foshan Fusaier Metal Products, whilst Infinity is possibly Infinity Decor in Walsall (?) who aren't manufacturers at all. So if you do buy the cheap runners, test them and buy them. Just don't expect the long life you'd get out of European-made products

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back