Soft close kitchen drawers closing s-l-o-w-l-y

3red123

My first post here, so please be gentle :D

2 years ago we had an Ikea kitchen fitted, and all the drawers are soft closing.

Recently they have either stopped closing, or are closing really slowly. To get them to close we have to give them a shove (if they have stopped closing) or just be patient (if they are closing really slowly).

I have tried WD40 on one of the drawers - on the metal bits I see underneath when I pull the drawer out (hope you can understand my technical jargon!)

If anything, the drawer closes even slower now.

Not having fitted them ourselves, we have no idea where or what the mechanism is that closes them.

I'm not sure whether it is connected but there is a small grey rubber/plastic pad approx 3" x 2" on the inside of the drawers at each side (on the drawer body, not on the drawer frame). Is this the soft close mechanism, or is it deeper into the drawer? And how do I get them to work again?

Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the solf close mechanisms will probably be like a little piston that looks similar to this http://www.screwfix.com/p/salice-slow-close-door-hinges-white-100-x-50mm-pack-of-5/51625 you could try giving these a bit of Wd40 and a clean - they may have got gunged up with muck and grease. If this doesnt work you could take them off and go and ask for replacments at ikea, they give something like a 15 year gaurantee on there kitchen cabinets so they will probably just replace them no problems.

the solf close mechanisms will probably be like a little piston that looks similar to this http://www.screwfix.com/p/salice-slow-close-door-hinges-white-100-x-50mm-pack-of-5/51625 you could try giving these a bit of Wd40 and a clean - they may have got gunged up with muck and grease. If this doesnt work you could take them off and go and ask for replacments at ikea, they give something like a 15 year gaurantee on there kitchen cabinets so they will probably just replace them no problems.

Okay, thanks I'll have a good look at the drawers tomorrow. I know Ikea have tubs full of spare parts they just hand out, so hopefully I will be able to get some free replacements if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back