B&Q Soto Soft Close drawer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought the B&Q Soft Close drawers- 2 deep ones and 1 shallow one

The layout I have is in my cabinet; the top one drawer is the shallow one, the bottom 2 the deep ones. Now, all of the drawers are stiff to pull out. It takes a bit of effort. The second drawer down, once out, doesn't slide as smoothly as the others, you have to push it all the way to about 1 inch from the soft close area and then it'll gently soft close. Whereas the other 2, you can push it with a gentle push from full extension and it'll go all the way in. One swift smooth motion.

I've tried everything; reinstalling the mechanism, greasing it, checking for debris. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Old'ish thread but wondered if anyone had any luck improving the movement.

Looking to replace my really old normal runners, bought one to test: B&Q GoodHome Soto Soft-close shallow drawer box, for 600mm wide.

Works pretty well, does need a fairly good push so it goes all the way so as to close the last few inches by itself,
that is fine, could get use to that and of course no banging shut & still nice action.

However pulling out those first few inches, does take a little more force than I would like or thing reasonable, wife really thinks is too stiff.

If I had them all installed I would probably just about accept but as I have a choice not sure if to look elsewhere.

Firstly, does this seem normal, they feel fluid & smooth but a chance got some drill sawdust inside as did not cover as well as perhaps I should.
Pretty sure installed well & square, whilst does not go back in with a light push from fully extended does feel good.

Might they loosen a little with use. I have loaded so good weight inside.

Installed easy, looks well made so reluctant to loose the money on this one (can't image can return) & spend more on alternatives.

Blum gets mentioned a lot but are quite a bit more expensive & have read a few comments on really expensive soft close & they still have issues with stiff pull out.

Any advise?

Have Blum with no issue, open easily and glide shut with a light touch.

Sponsored Links
I have bought the B&Q Soft Close drawers- 2 deep ones and 1 shallow one

The layout I have is in my cabinet; the top one drawer is the shallow one, the bottom 2 the deep ones. Now, all of the drawers are stiff to pull out. It takes a bit of effort. The second drawer down, once out, doesn't slide as smoothly as the others, you have to push it all the way to about 1 inch from the soft close area and then it'll gently soft close. Whereas the other 2, you can push it with a gentle push from full extension and it'll go all the way in. One swift smooth motion.

I've tried everything; reinstalling the mechanism, greasing it, checking for debris. What am I doing wrong?
The cupboard might be too wide, just replaced old b&q runners with soft close drawers, a 2mm packer behind each of the screw plates and it works perfectly. The old 500mm Cupboard internal width is ~469mm the new drawers are for 464mm.

Screwed in the first screw on both runners, attach the drawer, fully extended, level ontop mark the back hole on one side, screw in, repeat for second side. Cut a slot out of the 2mm packer, release screw to slide packer in, then a couple more screws in the runners.

Shallow drawers; Screw holes for the top row are ~55mm from the bottom of the drawer front. Gap between drawers/doors ~2-3mm.

Attachments

• 20221105_181523.jpg
    20221105_181523.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 20221105_180542.jpg
    20221105_180542.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 188

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back