Soft close toilet seat fixtures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Unable to tighten the fittings that hold the seat in place.
It’s the type that you press 2 buttons to release from the pins they locate on.
Is it possible to change these. Not sure how I get them out. Thinking dremmel the screw and let the part inside the toilet just drop.
I have seen some that look more like screw plugs.
049E2834-60E5-43DD-BB4D-6355F02EDAC8.jpeg CF523DE2-BC68-4DF3-AE43-339B4394BA49.jpeg E0754668-7664-4C70-9C5E-F85D7133F4D6.jpeg

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to tighten those up.
The metal bit is like a toggle ,wiggle it until the nut sits in the centre of the toggle . Then pull upward on the black base whilst tightening the screw .

You should be able to tighten those up.
The metal bit is like a toggle ,wiggle it until the nut sits in the centre of the toggle . Then pull upward on the black base whilst tightening the screw .
Spent about an hour trying all sorts to tighten them up. Managed one, but the other loose. If you look carefully you see that the locating part is sideways on the thread. Managed to straighten it at 90degrees to the thread but just the same.
Hence my question about changing them

I see no reason why they cant be tightened up ,or why they cant be removed. That toggle just needs to be in the correct position to do either. If you must ,unscrew the bolt, the toggle and nut would just fall to the floor . The last pic ( bottom of the 3) looks like the whole thing will just pull straight out ?
Replacements are available ,and the ones that look like a plastic wall plug are ok.

Sponsored Links
I see no reason why they cant be tightened up ,or why they cant be removed. That toggle just needs to be in the correct position to do either. If you must ,unscrew the bolt, the toggle and nut would just fall to the floor . The last pic ( bottom of the 3) looks like the whole thing will just pull straight out ?
Replacements are available ,and the ones that look like a plastic wall plug are ok.
That’s the thing, should I not be clear, they won’t tighten up even though you can’t see why, and me cutting them is because they won’t come out.

1. The screw looks as if the thread is damaged near the top (photo 3). Would explain why it can't be tightened.
2. The only "special" part is the U shaped plate which hold the nut.
3. If you can't get the whole assembly slid out:
3a. Put some strong but thin thread / wire through the slot in the U piece so you don't lose it.
3b. Measure the diameter of the screw. Looks like an M6 but can't be sure. Try and measure the length of it as well.
3c. Undo the screw until the nut drops off. Alternatively cut the screw and drop the remains through the slut in the U piece.
3d. Pull out the U piece.
3e. Get a new screw and nut. Stainless steel is not as strong as mild steel, but probably OK for this job, and won't rust.
3f. Nut in U piece, screw fitted through black piece, then only as far as just emerging from nut.
3g. Wangle assembly back in place.
3g. Pull up so U piece is roughly central and tighten screw.

1. The screw looks as if the thread is damaged near the top (photo 3). Would explain why it can't be tightened.
2. The only "special" part is the U shaped plate which hold the nut.
3. If you can't get the whole assembly slid out:
3a. Put some strong but thin thread / wire through the slot in the U piece so you don't lose it.
3b. Measure the diameter of the screw. Looks like an M6 but can't be sure. Try and measure the length of it as well.
3c. Undo the screw until the nut drops off. Alternatively cut the screw and drop the remains through the slut in the U piece.
3d. Pull out the U piece.
3e. Get a new screw and nut. Stainless steel is not as strong as mild steel, but probably OK for this job, and won't rust.
3f. Nut in U piece, screw fitted through black piece, then only as far as just emerging from nut.
3g. Wangle assembly back in place.
3g. Pull up so U piece is roughly central and tighten screw.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back