Soil Pipe Cutter - How short can?should I cut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut back a horizontal soil pipe in order to fit a new toilet. It is 3.5" ID cast-iron and still has it's collar. There is about 2.5" between the back of the collar and the wall - Will this be enough for a chain cutter to fit around it?
:?:

I intend to hire a cutter from HSS which works parallel to the pipe due to restricted space.

Additionally - what is the shortest you should cut, or is there no limit?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
PLumbers generally use a small angle grinder.
You can cut flush with the wall if you like, and use plastic WC extensions to suit.

PLumbers generally use a small angle grinder.
You can cut flush with the wall if you like, and use plastic WC extensions to suit.

too high a risk of sparks causing a fire inside a property if they get down between the floorboards etc,

put a new blade in a hacksaw then cut across the top of the pipe just behind the collar, until the whole depth of the blade is inside the pipe, giving a horizontal cut of approx 40-50mm long, then get a lump hammer and "skelp" the collar as hard as you can (DO NOT TAP IT) the pipe will shear clean through

Go hire a 'snap cutter' or get a 9" angle grinder on it , job done.

Sponsored Links
Although "skelping" it sounds fun, I am a coward :oops:

What is the difference between "snap cutters" and "chain cutters"? Some sites use them interchangeably, others say they are different.... :?:

How wide is the chain on a snap/chain cutter? Will it (and the ratchett) fit in the 2.5" gap between the collar and the wall?

only 1 way to find out - measure @ the hire shop ;) But i think it will go - last time I used one was 1975 :confused: Also make sure you get the correct connector for that B`stard size iron pipe- before you start :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back