Soil Pipe Discolouring

Since the colour has darkened, it would absorb more heat so exacerbate the heating issue. However that doesn't explain why it happened in the first place

Sponsored Links
This is an intriguing thread and I would like to learn the possible causes - as I'm sure Obama would. Please do report their response.

Edit: I meant Osma but I reckon Barack will be keen to find out too, as I heard he's planning a new soil system to deal with all the sh!t Trump has caused :LOL:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Well I've heard back from Osma and they have confirmed that it is caused by the sun. Here is the content of their email:

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your enquiry and your photos, you’re correct in thinking this is due to the sun, although this is very severe UV damage; is there a conservatory or big glazed patio doors nearby that reflect and concentrate the sun’s rays.

From the fitting date clock I can see it was manufactured in November 2011 so coming up 7 years old. UV damage is initially a surface cosmetic effect and if you lightly scrape the surface with a sharp blade you will find the discolouration is very thin.

Over many years in this sort of exposure, probably 20 to 30 years, the material surface will start to craze and become brittle but structurally the fitting will still function. To improve the aesthetics of the pipework you could paint it, a gloss white or black, and this will also give it some UV protection.

I hope our comments are of some help and thanks again for your enquiry

So at least I know it's not going to cause issues down the line. Thanks for all the input and suggestions (and the humour :ROFLMAO:)

Russell

thanks for taking the time to post that email from them. its news to me.
maybe, just a maybe as someone suggested the fittings were brought from someplace else and youdidnt notice the discolouring until it got that bad?

thanks for taking the time to post that email from them. its news to me.
maybe, just a maybe as someone suggested the fittings were brought from someplace else and youdidnt notice the discolouring until it got that bad?
To be honest with you I don't think so. I have just checked Google Streetview and looked at the pictures of our house (and you can go back to previous years pictures as well) and it shows that in June 2011 the renovation had not started and in April 2012 it was nearing completion. This would tie in with the manufacturing date stamp on the fittings of November 2011.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back