Soil pipe help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have a spare downstairs room that someone fitted a shower into at some point and now I want to convert it to a proper shower room with WC etc.
It's a 2 storey house, but this room is part of a 1 storey extension. There is already a main bathroom with a vented soil pipe at the other end of the house.

A builder has already joined a new soil pipe to the sewer and left me a 12 inch pipe outside to connect the toilet to.
The soil pipe is near 2 opening windows.

What I need to know is, do I have to extend the soil pipe to 900mm above the windows (above the level of the extension roof), or even worse all the way to the top of the house, or (I'm hoping) can I simply put an AAV/filter on the end of it and leave it below window level.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
If the stack is outside, make sure you fit an AAAV that is suitable for external use.

Fitting a new w/c in a room is notifyable under Building Regs. so your should really be submitting a building notice to your LABC. Regulations also require a fan if you don’t already have one fitted & any associated electrical work must either be notified (on the same notice), inspected & tested or completed by a Part P Electrician who can do the work without submission.

As far as I know they don't make an auto air admittance valve for external use.

A simple stub stack as per Kevplumbs post is all that's needed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help so far.

Thanks Kev, but that's not an option as the WC will be in an "open" area and we don't want a soil pipe and AAV on display.
An external AAV would be good, but I'll have to ask the local planners if they'll accept that. Whilst there guidelines don't specifically say no, they are worded for an internal one.

On the plus side, it does say that a fan is only needed if there is no opening windows and we have two.

On the plus side, it does say that a fan is only needed if there is no opening windows and we have two.
Think you’ll find that applies if it’s only a loo with opening windows; current BR’s require forced extract in a new bath/shower/kitchen/utility rooms. You should really have an extract fan in there but as it was an existing shower you may get away with it depending on how the BI interprets the work, when the shower was installed & how accomodating he feels on the day; I would check with LABC what they require but, regardless, it really is a good idea to have one fitted, opening windows or not.

Think you’ll find that applies if it’s only a loo with opening windows; current BR’s require forced extract in a new bath/shower/kitchen/utility rooms. You should really have an extract fan in there but as it was an existing shower you may get away with it depending on how the BI interprets the work, when the shower was installed & how accomodating he feels on the day; I would check with LABC what they require but, regardless, it really is a good idea to have one fitted, opening windows or not.

Ta.

I just heard from the local planners, that an External AAV is accpetable so that's good news.

The next thing is that BRs seems to have only covered electrical installations such as showers since 2005 and the existing shower would have been put in before then. If I'm just replacing the shower with a similar unit, do you think that means I'll get away with not having to submit a BR application?

I just heard from the local planners, that an External AAV is accpetable so that's good news.
As long as you have an open vent elsewhere to cater for positive pressure, no reason why it shouldn’t be.

NB. It’s not “local planners” you’re dealing with its Building Control which is a completely different department.

The next thing is that BRs seems to have only covered electrical installations such as showers since 2005 and the existing shower would have been put in before then.
It may cover what’s already in there but if you require new circuits (fan or lights etc) Part P will apply.

If I'm just replacing the shower with a similar unit, do you think that means I'll get away with not having to submit a BR application?
You will almost certainly "get away with not having to submit a BR application"; if you don’t tell them what you’re doing, how will they know! Your problems will probably start when you come to sell up & can’t produce a compliance certificate for the work, now a requirement under HIPS. As I said, fitting a new W/C into a room & connection to an existing foul drain is notifyable work & you will need to (should) submit a Building Notice & have the work inspected in order to get a compliance certificate which you will almost certainly be asked to produce when you sell.

LABC may well take the view that adding a W/C &, presumably, a sink constitutes the construction of a new bathroom rather than a refurbishment & then ALL the relevant BR’s will apply. You will then need to provide forced ventilation &, if there are any stud walls between the loo & another habitable room, these must be sound insulated!

To be safe, you should check what your particular LABC requires & if they say “not interested”, get it confirmed in writing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back