new downstairs toilet - venting soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any help on how to vent a new toilet fitted into a single storey groundfloor extension,
the soil stack is outside.
can i take it up to a certain distance above the new flat roof level and vent if off normally,although the upstairs bathroom window will be approx 2ft away at similar height.
or am i better of offsettin the soil pipe at fascia level so its further away from the upstairs bathroom window but still on a similar height??
or does it need to go higher than the window
or is best to use a air valve outside at lower level?
the new soil stack goes into the same drain as existing soil pipe which vents off at roof line
would have posted pic but not sure how to!

Sponsored Links
so looking at the final reply on the link, i dont need to worry about venting the stack ,i can take the dowstairs wc waste straight into drain with an elbow not a " t " or just cap my existing t off ??

Sponsored Links
what i have done is put a durgo valve on the top of the "T" from the wc and waste.Its on the outside 1metre above the top of the cistern is this correct?
only thing is it about 600mm away horizontally from a external side door and stands approx 1.75m from floor level is this ok?

A durgo (or similar) valve will not comply if installed outside - it could freeze open.

What you have is a stub stack and may be compliant without any addition ventillation - what has the BCO siad about the installation.

It is always better to liase with the BCO before work starts.

bco arent involved, they classed the plans submitted for the extension as a conservatory even thought it was shown with the new toilet. so im right in thinkin then i can just put an elbow from new wc straight into drain and let existing stack do the ventilating

I can only think BC missed the toilet since this and the drainage would require inspection and if your selling the property in the near future the solicitor will need to see the paperwork.

Stub stacks are only allowed provided they comply ie min/max heights from basin/pan connection to the drain invert and maximum lenght of drain run. Check out the technical guides from the pipe manufacturers.

twibs said:
what i have done is put a durgo valve on the top of the "T" from the wc and waste.Its on the outside 1metre above the top of the cistern is this correct?
only thing is it about 600mm away horizontally from a external side door and stands approx 1.75m from floor level is this ok?

You shouldn't need an air vent as I suspect your stub stack is within 6m of the base of the main ventilated stack.

air vent for sale will swap for rodding point !!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for help guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back