soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a soil stack into a clay elbow pipe. Water leaks from over the top of the clay pipe when waste goes down the soil stack, there is no seal. If I move the stack slightly so it completely covers the clay waste pipe, water builds up, if it is slightly ofset the waste goes down better. Where should the stack be positioned in relation to the waste pipe and Should there be a seal? if not how can i stop the waste coming out of the pipe, what seal or filler do i need? And how do I fit it in a very tight fitting, obviously not tight enough as it is leaking waste!!!!

Sponsored Links
The joint should certainly be sealed! Remedial work in such a situation is difficult. A bodge would involve putting a WC connector into the bore of the drain and putting the soil pipe into the socket of this, but this would restrict the bore. There is a fitting specially made for this application, but made by only one or two manufacturers (try Marley?).

A better method would use a rubber double socket (Flexseal) but you need to have a decent length of cleanish clay drain pipe exposed to join onto - difficult if cemented in. You could also cement an adaptor (clay to plastic) onto drain pipe.

Thnx for that reply. Yes the clay pipe is cemented into place and in such an awkward one, it would be extremeley difficult to remove, without knocking down a supporting wall!!! There is also not a lot of it exposed and not a lot of play in the soil stack. I've waited 22 years for this new kitchen, a few more days wont hurt while the waste pipe is sorted!!!! =

I can't get an adapter as the clay pipe has a lip/ ledge on it. can i just cement the soil stack to the clay waste pipe using the lip as the base for the cement? The soil stack does have an air vent on it.

Sponsored Links
you need to get this sorted properly otherwise you are going to get damp and all sorts of problems, plus its grossly unhygenic.

get a builder in or get digging. Replacing a section or two of the clay pipe with underground plastic might be the easiest option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back