Soil retaining wall repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Its been a while since posting here and im hoping for the same friendly advice as before :D

Im sorting out my parents driveway and its been one huge task for me and my trusty labourer mate ! We have just finished laying 90 half battered road kerbs, total of 9 tonnes lifting, and now have to sort out gates, dwarf walls and fencing before the tarmac company turn up in about 3 weeks.

Ive sourced all the gates and automation but am struggle with the 2 soil retaining walls at the entrance to the drive. They are aprox 2.5 feet high and about 25 foot long, constructed with yellow stocks and have no barriers / membranes or reinforcement between them and the soil.

A bricklayer has told me they should be ripped down and replaced at a cost of aprox £2000 but I feel they could be repaired with engineering bricks and then rendered a lot cheaper and quicker. This would also remove the task of filling yet another skip with rubble and having the possibility of the soil bank collapsing into the driveway.

My question is:

Am I mad in trying to repair them ?

Will the render blow quickly because the stocks are so porus and already subject to damp ?

Can I repair them and inject the walls with some sort of fluid / resin to prolong the life and cope with the moisture from the soil ?

Will the cost of repairing / rendering / injecting be almost equal to a new wall ?

Cheers

Mick

Sponsored Links
Just decided to rip them down and get them rebuilt.
Going to chop the soil back and fit a membrane and backfill with gravel.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back