Soil stack angle

T

Th06

Hello all - new member here.

Need some advice on installing new bathroom. I'm looking to add a bathroom to the first floor of my property - it's currently in extension on first floor like many old terraces.

I'm reasonably confident at plumbing, changed numerous bathrooms in past when property renovating but never had to add a new soil stack. My question is, does it need go straight down? or can it take a slight angle half way? Reason for is that I plan to covert an existing foul drain to take the soil stack, however it is situated at the end of the property on the sinlge story extension - the soil pipe would need come up from the drain (about 6') then take a slight angle along the extension (with incline) for about 10' then straight up to take feed from new toilet and up to full property height for vent.

Also, can I add a gully along an existing foul pipe from soil stack? or do I need to run a new foul pipe from gully to inspection chamber (in back garden)

Hope this all makes sense, difficult without seeing it - shall try and get photo later.

Thanks very much for any assistance

Tom

Sponsored Links
It is best practice to try and avoid any bends in the wet part of the stack if possible. Ideally you'd need to extend or reroute the sewer to the foot of proposed stack position, fit a rest bend and take stack up from there.

Gulley could join existing run provided the pipework is accessible for rodding. Bottle gulley usually a good option, certain types have a rodding eye incorporated, others the dip tube is removable to allow access.

Thanks very much for your reply. Below is a photo better explaining (please escuse drawings but best i could do!) the red line shows where the soil stack would go. The gutter pipe to the left has a foul drain at the bottom which I would convert - then add another gully to take the gutter downpipe.

The drain at the center, which seems ideal, is a foul drain - currently taking the kitchen waste. It connects to the sewer underneath the house and so isn't accessible and I'm reluctant to have everything going down the same pipe. also would involve a lot more work adding chamber outside backdoor.

Would my proposed idea pass building regs?

Tom

scfigh.jpg
[/img][/code]

Sponsored Links
Run your proposals past BCO, he's man who has to sign it off! Some may allow it, others may not. Are you sure the existing gulley goes under the house? I'd check for definate, it may run backwards to a sewer running along the rear of the property.

My preference would be to try and use the kitchen gulley, rodding eye at base of the stack may suffice for access. That waste can connect via a strap boss to the new stack, and reroute the rainwater downpipe to the other gulley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back