Soil stack. Can it terminate inside the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I have a soil stack running on the outside of the house. Can I add an extension to the house with the soil stack running through one interior wall of it? I would naturally box in the soil stack.

Sponsored Links
As long as the top of the pipe is open to the air, or an air admittance valve (durgo valve) is fitted then yes you can.

Take care with that reply!

I have this feeling that you can only use a Durgo when you have an open pipe somewhere else in the property.

But I could be wrong.

I have a durgo on mine at home terminating in the upstairs bathroom.
Building inspector said it was fine.
Have also done a few others like this.
But the majority are additions ie new ensuite etc, so like you say Tony there is another open pipe somwhere else

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is a plastic stack then yes. I wouldn't be keen to box in an existing iron and definately not an asbestos stack.

It was a requirement at one stage during 60's/70's that all new build properties contained the stack within the fabric of the building, rule was later relaxed again to allow external installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back