Soil Stack Layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. So im getting around to replacing the cast iron stack while im swapping the toilet out and have a couple of questions.

As the boss etc is so much bulkier that the original cast iron one it sticks out to far from the house so ive turned it 90degrees and come at it from the side. it then has a 45degree fall to the new PVC part of the stack.

The problem i then had is that the rest of the new PVC stack is then out of line with the cast iron stump that ive cut off a couple of foot up from ground level.

So last night, just swung the connection back across using a couple of 135degree bends and some pine in between.

Can anyone see any issues with this? i've put a noddy drawing below, any comments welcome

[/img][/url]

Sponsored Links
It's not strictly good practice as the regs frown upon bends in the wet part of a stack, but I doubt it'll matter much. Can get a bit noisy when WC is flushed and the contents of the pan hit the bend on the way down though!

Options are, either leave as is, or depending on position of pan can sometimes fit the branch so the WC connection is facing into the wall, then go straight through to the spigot on the back of the pan, or fit a 45 bend inside the wall to move the connection over slightly, or if you're really ambitious, move the drain to meet foot of new stack position. (i'd leave it as is. ;) )

If you want to be technical, I think your referring to a junction or branch. A boss is used to make a smaller (e.g. waste pipe) connection to the stack.

thanks for the response matey.

yeah, seems to work so far. i did manage to get the PAN connection coming straight out the wall but the issue was the the junction connection thing was sticking too far away from the wall compared to the old cast iron one.

ie the cast pipe is about 1inch away from the wall while the junction (originally face on to the pan connection) was about 5-6 inch away from the wall so i had to do the turn.

i've seen plenty of stacks with the pan connection branch angled, i was just worried about having to put and angled connection in to swing it back across to the cast.......and i certainly didnt want to try moving the drain :D

as you mentioned, i think i'll be leaving it as it does seem to work fine.

thanks for the reassurance.

ta

Sponsored Links
You may have needed to cut the hole slightly bigger through the external skin of the wall to accomodate the junction, not to worry now. Regs state bends in wet part are best avoided, but it doesnt ban them altogether.

No reason why it would cause a problem, (other than possible noise when in use). There are times, such as when the base of the wall is corbelled, that use of an offset is unavoidable anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back