Soil stack offset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started work on a new en-suite & I’ve hit a problem with the proposed (& really only) internal stack location. On taking up the f/boards, I’ve discovered there are 2 joists straddling the supporting wall & it’s just my luck that the full span joist is the one in the way, if it was the other side I could have just cut off the offending overhang. This will kick the stack out another 50mm & the space available was always tight (but just doable) because of a door opening below (only 150mm from the adjacent wall). Loosing 50mm brings the stack out over the door line so it needs to be offset around the joist & back to the wall; this would be easy to achieve using 2 x 45 degree bends as it passes through the ceiling but then I checked part H & it states “no connection within 750mm of the offset”!

Is it really not permitted to connect adjacent to such a small (60mm) offset? Am I interpretation Part H correctly? If so, how the hell am I supposed to connect the toilet, shower & sink (only about 350mm above) into the soil stack! Are BC likely to waiver this in such a case or am I going to have to go to all the agro of moving the door below (major work) just to get a straight stack in. Could I consider an external stack? I didn't want this as it's at the front of the house so not ideal; am I likely to need PP for an external stack in this location? I know I will ultimately have to ring BC for a way forward but I would appreciate confirmation from the more experienced on here that I am in fact interpreting part H correctly; any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you`ll be ok with a 60mm offset BUT the beauracrats might "know" different :rolleyes: .....It`s to do with air being compressed as water hits and runs along the horisontal part of the stack ......and in this case it`s negligible........tell BC this and say you`ll use HepV O waste valves on shower and Basin. ;) WC will take care of itself .......or if they`re REALLY picky vent the wc from behind the pan connector and run it up + into the vent pipe near the top ;) ;) A slow bend @ the bottom of the stack is more important

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back