Soil stack or aav help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am having small single story extension. The existing soil stack will exit the new roof pass closely between 2 windows and above eaves. This is also reflected on the drawings.
The builder doing the roof wants to remove the stack and fit an external vent which will be a short distance below windows. I prefer the original stack be left as it is, am I wrong to insist on this, what do building regs prefer?
Grateful for any help .

Sponsored Links
If the SVP is the only point of external venting on your system I would suggest keeping as such. AAV's only admit air and do not vent the system to the outside air.

You are the client, the builder does what you want not what he wants.

It is the only point of external venting, the extension is being built to facilitate a downstairs shower room below the original upstairs bathroom. The stack is new, it replaced an internal vent put wrongly above the carport, I was advised to change it because they can freeze up. So you have confirmed my decision to say no.
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Afterthought, the rainwater from a rear extension goes into an open gully connected to the main sewer in addition to the kitchen Drain. Smells used to come up this gully.... when the open stack was reinstated it stopped.

If the builder put an air valve outside then that would be the same problem you are trying to solve.
Also, the previously smelly rain water gulley should be trapped like all other that are connected to the foul drains. Either the gulley is leaking the water seal or its the wrong type of gulley, either way it needs replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back