Soil stack vent terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two storey house; at the back of the house at first storey level I have a small slated roof which is only 3 slates wide. The soil pipe vent comes through this roof and goes up the side of the house, round the guttering and terminates adjacent the main house roof. This makes the soil vent pipe about 10-12 feet in height and it looks as ugly as sin. Is there anyway I can shorten / modify this pipe, at the same time ensuring sewer pipe gasses dont then come into the house. I've read about air admittance valves...can they be relied upon?

Sponsored Links
Toilet and bathroom waste enter the stack at about first floor level (so just beneath the roof exit point), the stack then rises vertically between the toilet and bedroom windows.

Sponsored Links
air admittance valves are great and do not let out any smells I have installed lots of them.....can be in roof space

air admittance valves are great and do not let out any smells I have installed lots of them.....can be in roof space

My, My and here I thought there was much better craftmenship in England then I see AAVs menthioned.

Soil VENT pipe - allows foul gases to vent from the system

AAV - lets air into the system

Spot the difference

Soil VENT pipe - allows foul gases to vent from the system

AAV - lets air into the system

Spot the difference

Depending on a cheap piece of rubber attached to a plastic body to insure carcinogenic and flammable fumes do not enter the structure is not really what I would call integrity in plumbing.

also this AAV will not prevent HOARFROST in some locations.
I like things simple and non mechanical devices for venting when possible.

Rubber dries out, cracks prone to failures.. time will tell

An air admittance valve does not fulfil the same role as an open vent.

Each property should have an open vent to their soil system. You may be able to use an AAV if your property has other vent stack(s) elsewhere.

AAVs should only be fitted internally to prevent freezing.

There are minimum distances laid out for the position of open vent terminals relative to windows and other ventilation.

If the vent stack is such an eyesore, you may be able to consider re-running it internally, emerging straight through the roof.

But remember that changes to the soil and vent system should be notified to the local Building Control Officer.

Thanks for all the inputs, looks like I'm stuck with the vent pipe...however as the pipe is 100mm diameter (4 inch for you colonials), I'm guessing I would be OK replacing the visible portion of the pipe with a smaller diameter pipe, maybe 40-50mm so it still vents but is less of an eyesore.

Thanks for all the inputs, looks like I'm stuck with the vent pipe...however as the pipe is 100mm diameter (4 inch for you colonials), I'm guessing I would be OK replacing the visible portion of the pipe with a smaller diameter pipe, maybe 40-50mm so it still vents but is less of an eyesore.

Thank you for converting the size to us colonials now let me give you some insight.

The reason for the vent terminal to be 4" (100 MM) is to prevent hoarfrost.

In another words as the vapor escapes from the building sewer /waste line as hot air rises it also has high humidity. durning the warmer months this is not a problem.

Durning the colder weather this vapor adheres to the sides of the vent terminal and if the vent piping is less then 100MM (4") it can block the opening and cause all kinds of nasty problems in the drainage system.

On a 4" pipe this ice formation cannot biidge the gap thus no hoarfrost is possible.

An AAV defeats this besides being highly unprofessional devices imho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back