soil waste and drainpipe water...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm putting in an en-suite 4.5m away from the main stack in my bungalow and am not sure if i have enough fall before the main soil stack bends and dissapears to the horizontal plane. I initially thought i did and have cut the main soil pipe part way through the 90deg bend.
My plan was to put in a Marley 67.5 Degree Offset Bend at this cut off as this would enable me to make the turn tighter than the current 90deg one in place and thus give me the extra fall. Well i think i might have over estimated the fall available - i was hoping for 10cm.

So, i have noticed that there is a drain pipe going into the drainage system just outside the house where the ensuite will be. I have checked by pouring water into this and i can hear it come out into the same drain by listening down the open end of the main stack. I was wondering if i might be able to tap into this underground pipe on the other side of the u gully trap or does this go against the builing regs incase of overflow etc.

Anyone else any ideas?? Other than knocking the whole thing on the head and washing and toileting in a bucket for the forseeable future...

James

Sponsored Links
will try and up load a diagram this evening and maybe some digital pictures.
But what do people think about tapping into the other side of the rainwater drainage pipe?

Sponsored Links
What do people think about tapping into the other side of the rainwater drainage pipe?

Depends if your drainage is a combined system which should be ok to do.

The job will come under Building Control though. :(

Well, plan B has now become send the pipe put through the wall and tap into this pipe under the ground, if building regs allow.

I'd prefer plan A as everything is ready for this to go, but am not sure if i can get anything to 'stick on' the partially cut long 90 bend as to solvent weld and push on'e i have seem not to fit (have i cut the pipe at the wrong angle, or could it be thick pipe or non circular in the middle of a 90 bend.
And further to plan A, what is the minimum fall on 4.5m or 110mm pipe i need - 1/60? I have raised up the ensuit end as much as poss but the joists are in the way :(
Right, better go and pick the wife up and give her the news. If you hear a load voice eminating from North Scotland, you will know it's gone down badly
Many thanks
James

Depends if your drainage is a combined system which should be ok to do.
The job will come under Building Control though. :(

Will look into a 'combined system' but if you can elaborate...

Yes i have already submitted the plans for the job - the best made plans of mice and men and all that...

James[/quote]

hope thats not down on the invert that you have cut it.

which is the horizontal pipe going to drain.

Well it is towards one end of the 90deg bend (the lower one). I'm currently thinking i may try and dig out the pipe and get access to the horizontal and try and glue onto this - the end of the bend dissapears into an asbestoss cover and into the soil and side of the building (i live in a very old cottage with bare eath under the boards)

james

Thanks Hi Spec, is the 450 rule so it can get some speed up?
I think i need to have a think.
Cheers
James

I have had a think and have come up with plan C

If i just take the water from the ensuite sink and shower out through the wall and outside into the trapped gully this will mean that i can raise up the toilet end of the soil pipe as the shower and sink waste pipes nolonger need to go under the joists and into the bosses.

Question... is it still OK to send this typr of waste water out into gully traps (my house is over 100 years old, but the plumbing is probably post '57. Bassically, can i get away with this!

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back