Solar Heating basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the rising cost of electricity and Gas, thoughts of the benefits of Solar Heating come to mind.

I'm thinking of possibly installing it to heat hot water, not the Central Heating, on an average residential 3 bed semi.

Is it worth it , how effective is it, how long (on average) would it take to pay back the installation cost etc etc ?

Any opinions ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Realistcally you will save between £85 & £120 per year if you are lucky :eek:

You can work out the payback time from the installation cost and the above figures.

Get an air source system maybe?? Cost a little more then a new boiler install and electricity is comparable to gas now the prices have gone up so much....

Mind you...where does the electricty come from...great big coal fires :evil:

When I looked at this some six months ago, it cost us about 7p to have a shower. running a bowl of water hardly registered, when multiplied over a year it wasn't worth it.
It, would be worn out and need replacing long before it will pay for its self.
However, since then I've collected a pile of second hand 15 & 22mm pipe and I've seen cheap second hand indirect cylinders.
So perhaps a home made system may be worth while.
Perry

Sponsored Links
Most gas consumption is for heating, only a tiny fraction goes on hot water. It's not worth it in monetary terms but might give a feel good factor!

Having fitted it at home ~I agree with all the above.

Gas4u is right about the pathetic real world savings.

But the feel good factor is enormous, and I have a much better water systemm cylinder fully heated by solar and when not hot enough the water diverts to combi so gas only used when required. Because water is at least preheated combi performance is supersonic. We've got the best hot water system we've ever had. That is worth a lot. As is the intelectual capital.

When I get round to it plan to feed a rad off it in the airing cupboard.

Also plan to turn some windows into solar collectors using simple black velvet tight to frame gap to window slot at bottom few inches, cold air comes in through slot at bottom heated between glass and felt (felt gets hot) warmed up air passes through felt mostly at the top, and is further warmed in the proces by the felt. Natural convection warm air heating. On days at this time of year when sun comes out occasionally it contributes, and it's free after installation cost.

air source heat pump isn't worth it yet, gas isn't the same as electric yet and might continue to track it by same margin it ever has.. (3 to 1) but solar hot water isn't worth it either. Having both would make you feel good but would not be a wise investment on pure financial grounds.. But better investment than the 500 shares in Northern Rock I had before the government made them worthless. There is no safe place for your money today so might aswell spend it on something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back