Any downside using a solar cyclinder without having solar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been seriously considering solar water heating but I am finding the pay back is too long and the outlay at the moment is too high considering the amount of work we have to do elsewhere in the house.

I am planning to put in a solar compatible pressurised hot water cylinder.

Is there any issue doing this if I didnt add the solar system for 3-5 years?

Will the gas boiler fed coil placement in the cyclinder give me any issues, I think the solar coil will be at the bottom. Will I still be able to heat the full cyclinder etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No , u could make use of it & connect up both coils untill u get solar i.e in one coil out & than back into the solar coil than out back to your boiler

The downside is that you have paid out more for a suitable cylinder but are not getting the benefits of the solar water heating for 3-5 years!

How many people live there?

Check the incident power curves because that far north its less than in London!

Tony

mum, dad, teenager (at the moment!) and two kids 3 and 4.

All boys, not the mum obviously! In time football, Rugby etc then the youngsters will be using the shower a lot. I would shower everyday if it wasnt for the crap old electric shower we have at the mo.

Im keen for it but even doing a lot of the mechanical fitting work its not cheap, im getting quoted £2500 for the solar kit, Grants Sahara two panel.

Planning a 210 litre tank, cant fit a 250 due to loft ceiling height.

Payback ive read looks like £55-65 a year off your gas bill! We may be classed as a bigger family but even if yo udouble that and said £150-200 a year saving its a long long time.

If I had £4k doing nothing fair enough but weve a whole house to do, trying to blitz it over next 3-5 years.

Im jsut sure sods law will be such that if I put no solar coil in all of a sudden solar kits will be coming in much cheaper.

There isnt much extra cost for a solar tank is there?

On another post I had earlier one guy there whos made his own kit has also suggested he isnt getting superb results and he is in England where you at least see the sun.

Is it all just a farse? Saying that we can get very sunny days up here its just wether its enough of the time?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't bother the solar kits will never pay for themselves.

The most people are saving is about £100 as that is all the hot water costs are in a normal household.

If a solar kit costs about £1500 it is never going to pay for itself.

Save your money. Buy solar electric but not the water waste of money.

Its generally considered that with four you can save about £120-£150 a year based on four people. But thats England. So far north that could be 10-20% less.

With more it can be higher.

I would say that 210 li is rather on the small side for five. I would want to fit 300 li so that when I do get useful heating there is space to store it in case the next day is less sunny. Even for non solar with five adults I would use rule of thumb 50 li plus 50 li per person.

Solar thermal is one of the few renewable technologies which gives a good return on the investment. I did not mention any payback. But that can come from increasing energy prices!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back