Solar hot water to cylinder hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have an unvented hot water system (no central heating) and a solar panel on the roof with its own storage cylinder.

I want to put the solar water straight into the houses hot water feed on a motorised valve operated from the thermostat in the solar panels cylinders thermostat.

Is there a valve I can buy to do this?
Can I use a normal 3 port valve? (Difference I will have 2 feeds in and one feed out and NOT 1 feed in and 2 feeds out as the 3 port valves are normally used.

Any help much appreciated.

Tristan

Sponsored Links
Just fit an Intasol combi solar diverter. No electrics required.
So your normal cylinder receives pre heated water on the inlet when solar conditions are low.

There are so many possible variations in what you can do that any experienced solar installer would be able to advise on.

You have not explained what your current system does and what difference you want to achieve.

With an unvented cylinder, they and their control systems should only be fitted and maintained by someone who has the appropriate G3 qualification.

Tony

Sponsored Links
So your normal cylinder receives pre heated water on the inlet when solar conditions are low.

I'd be surprised if you can legally do this, as an unvented cylinder needs three temperature control devices on any medium heating it.

Cravenbiker, you can certainly tee into the hot water supplying your property after the unvented cylinder & have the solar cylinder supply via a divertor valve, wire it in such a way that it diverts only when the solar cylinder is hot enough. This is commonly done with pre-heat solar cylinders on open vented cylinders systems.
HTH

It's perfectly safe to supply pre heated water to an unvented cylinder and is not prohibited under any laws written in the statute books.
Especially when its blended to 28c. Then you have the divertor valve diverting at 48c.
That makes use of all the solar energy.

Then of course you have the other cylinder which should already have temperature control in place.
You could do it with separate valves but the combi valve makes it nice and compact.

You don't need the G3 police enforcers to connect a solar valve. Of course they will always attempt to stick their oar in!

It's perfectly safe to supply pre heated water to an unvented cylinder and is not prohibited under any laws written in the statute books.
Especially when its blended to 28c. Then you have the divertor valve diverting at 48c.
That makes use of all the solar energy.

Then of course you have the other cylinder which should already have temperature control in place.
You could do it with separate valves but the combi valve makes it nice and compact.

You don't need the G3 police enforcers to connect a solar valve. Of course they will always attempt to stick their oar in!

With respect mate, your comments are peppered with contradictions. As found with the Gas Saver, 28C water has been found to be a legionella risk.

Not to worry...if the OP avoids showering and drinks his water from silver lined goblets he'll be well safe. :LOL:

Not to worry...if the OP avoids showering and drinks his water from silver lined goblets he'll be well safe. :LOL:

So true, so in effect his hot water system will be totally useless, however he'll avoid a nasty chest infection, that, could ultimately lead to his demise..... :eek:

Yes, it's always refreshing to read the sound advice offered up by the hard of thinking on this forum.

His existing solar cylinder should already have weekly pasteurisation built in surely?
Surely that will prevent the legionella nasties prevailing.

I'd be surprised if you can legally do this, as an unvented cylinder needs three temperature control devices on any medium heating it.

Cravenbiker, you can certainly tee into the hot water supplying your property after the unvented cylinder & have the solar cylinder supply via a divertor valve, wire it in such a way that it diverts only when the solar cylinder is hot enough. This is commonly done with pre-heat solar cylinders on open vented cylinders systems.
HTH

Thank you, this seemed to make sense to me. But my question really was if it's possible to use a standard diverter valve as I will be reversing the conventional use of it. Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks for all your input

HTH

Thank you, this seemed to make sense to me. But my question really was if it's possible to use a standard diverter valve as I will be reversing the conventional use of it. Does this make sense to anyone?

If you mean a standard CH valve then no as they are not designed for potable water.
The insides will corrode leaving you with possibly a worse belly ache than the legions of nasties are capable off.

Does your pre-heat solar cylinder go through weekly pasteurisation cycles? I've foolishly assumed that's all in order and taken care off.
If not then you'd probably be better off diverting it down the river. :LOL:

Take note....
"In the UK, manufacturers, suppliers, installers, and owners of such water systems as solar pre-heating systems, have a statutory obligation to assess such risks and implement measures that will effectively control those (legionella) risks."

Read more here...
http://www.wras.co.uk/Preheated-Water.htm
Click on the report!

HTH

If you mean a standard CH valve then no as they are not designed for potable water.
The insides will corrode leaving you with possibly a worse belly ache than the legions of nasties are capable off.

Does your pre-heat solar cylinder go through weekly pasteurisation cycles? I've foolishly assumed that's all in order and taken care off.
If not then you'd probably be better off diverting it down the river. :LOL:

Take note....
"In the UK, manufacturers, suppliers, installers, and owners of such water systems as solar pre-heating systems, have a statutory obligation to assess such risks and implement measures that will effectively control those (legionella) risks."

Read more here...
http://www.wras.co.uk/Preheated-Water.htm
Click on the report!

potable water???
Please read my posts again and if I'm not making sense I apologise .

I have two sources of hot water, I want to channel them into the house, I want to put "A" as the primary source and "B" as the secondary to cut in with the valve when the thermostat says it is up to optimal heat. Can I do this on a normal 3 port valve? (Ie two sources in, one out) !!??!!???!!??

OK. So you have two sources of hot dirty water outside your home that need channelling to the inside.

Had you considered a digger? LMAO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back