solar panel array - garden, allotment, outhouse etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, recently had a chat with a mate who is fitting a solar panel to his garden shed rigged up to a charge controller and then a 12 volt battery. I think there's an inverter in the setup as well which converts DC to AC. Not seen it yet.
I thought how handy this would be down at the allotment for charging phones, drills, running the odd tool, potentially running a heat mat for warm loving plants early in the year to get them started (tomatoes,aubergines, peppers).
Anyone have such a setup or know anyone that does and has some good info to share?

Sponsored Links
I would scrap the idea of heat, unless you spent a lot of money, it would just use too much power.

How much can you run off the 12v? USB charging, lights, radio etc is easy.

Inverters are easy enough, that will give your 240v, but it's more money, and less efficiency, as the inverter itself uses power.

I would scrap the idea of heat, unless you spent a lot of money, it would just use too much power.

How much can you run off the 12v? USB charging, lights, radio etc is easy.

Inverters are easy enough, that will give your 240v, but it's more money, and less efficiency, as the inverter itself uses power.

Thanks scbk, good info.
Perhaps the inverter could be a standby option ..
Some heat in the greenhouse would be ideal but I guess that would be too much of a luxury and there are low tech options which are just as viable such as a paraffin burner.
I do like the idea of installing something which serves more than one purpose.

Sponsored Links
I've looked into this a little further and watched a few YouTube videos of solar panel and shed setups.
I think you're probably right, it doesnt seem fit for purpose. A phone you can keep charged from a battery pack and there are decent LED lamps that can hold charge for 24+hr before needing to be recharged. Power tools run off a small generator.
A heat mat would pull too much energy and wouldn't have enough power to run off the energy the panel would produce from the low light levels at this time of year.
One key benefit would be the ability to run some sort of solar powered water pump in the greenhouse .. but really it's not necessary. Can the idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back