Solar panel usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have about a dozen solar panels on my roof and box in the garage. I get a cheque every quarter from BG totalling probably 5-600pa. is there a way i can use the energy instead of selling it back? and is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
It can be used by switching on appliances in the house when the panels are generating. Some of it will already be used - you will need to switch on more things to use more of it.

Are the BG payments actually for energy sold, or are they FIT payments for what was generated?

Do you have a hot water tank? You can heat it with the immersion...

Hi All, I have about a dozen solar panels on my roof and box in the garage. I get a cheque every quarter from BG totalling probably 5-600pa. is there a way i can use the energy instead of selling it back? and is it worth it?

yes.

But, do you have a gas boiler?

If so, the cost of hot water and heating is so low that it is not worth making special arrangements to use up the spare electricity on them.

In our house, the only appliance that is controllable and uses any significant electriciy, is the tumbledrier.

So washing and drying are always done in daylight, and preferably after looking at the weather map to see when it is going to be sunny.

Don't get obsessed and become a slave to it. You have to do the washing anyway.
You can't control the fridge-freezer; and you need to use the lights and heating when the sun isn't shining.

If you have an all-electric house and no gas supply, just make a point of using your immersion heater, washer, drier, dishwasher, sauna, jaccuzi and iron during the day. If the sun happens to be shining, all the better.

Can you afford a plug-in car? When I looked, a plug-in hybrid cost £10,000 more than a self-charger. I would not save £10,000 over the car lifetime.

Sponsored Links

your 2 choices are either use your spare electricity to heat your hot water tank with an immersion or you can get storage batteries so you can use the electricity when the solar panels aren’t charging and you could add an inverter / air conditioner so you can heat and cool from the electricity.

We have a fit contract with bg. I cant believe we are using any of the power as im paying £140pm for gas and electric. Shockingly its going up to £350pm which i cant believe when reports are saying average rise will be £700pa.
I have gas boiler with emersion heater. We have water on in morning for showers and early evening for kids bath/shower. Gas central heating isnt on in day time. Comes on about 4/5 and then on about 4 til 7:30.
Washing machine and dryer are in daily.
we use a lot of electric but cant understand how total bill is going up so much

your 2 choices are either use your spare electricity to heat your hot water tank with an immersion or you can get storage batteries so you can use the electricity when the solar panels aren’t charging and you could add an inverter / air conditioner so you can heat and cool from the electricity.
How do i do that? my immersion has an electric switch which we’ve never turned on. I assume we are heating the water via boiler?
how would i use the solar?

I cant believe we are using any of the power

of course you are.

when your panels are generating 2kW, and you plug in a 3kW kettle, what do you think happens to the power from the panels?

of course you are.

when your panels are generating 2kW, and you plug in a 3kW kettle, what do you think happens to the power from the panels?

I'm new to the forum and I've a related query.

The panels should be wired back to the consumer unit and that electricity should be used. How can this usage of the solar electricity be seen or quantified?

By comparing the generation meter with the import meter, or for a real time display buy a suitable meter with sensors on import and export cables, and you can have an instantaneous net import figure. I use the Wattson, but that is unfortunately no longer available.

How do i do that? I have small meter which is where i take the fit readings from and the large box. All i know is when i moved into this house my bill went up from £100pm to £140 and now telling me £350pm
its a bigger house but our usage hasnt really changed so £40 rise and im getting some from solar?

C9F0A457-489C-4DC7-866F-11AFC6329E3C.jpeg B5C1FE72-BBF3-4A2D-843F-94356EADAF35.jpegB9D90E95-4851-40C3-A182-D1FF64E9FAD5.jpeg

The meter does have a infra red adapter which had a handset but i didnt see the point of it so unplugged.

The panels should be wired back to the consumer unit and that electricity should be used. How can this usage of the solar electricity be seen or quantified?

How do i do that? I have small meter which is where i take the fit readings from and the large box.

One way to do it would be a set like this:
https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/emonpi-energy-monitor-solar-pv-bundle/
which, I admit, is probably a bit nerdy for most, but the principal is the same for all these things - one clamp goes over your main feed and one clamp goes over the inverter output. You need to be able to get the clamp over a single wire in order for it to work:

https://learn.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/ct-sensors/installation

I don't know how stender would do that, from that picture it looks like the output of the inverter is a flex with both in.

All i know is when i moved into this house my bill went up from £100pm to £140 and now telling me £350pm
its a bigger house but our usage hasnt really changed so £40 rise and im getting some from solar?

So many variables. Different house, different supplier, different usage patterns, rising energy prices, ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back