Solar Water Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Can you fine guys shed some light on the subject of "Solar water Heating Systems".
Do they really work and are they as efficient as they make them to be. I have tried to find out info on the net. I am thinking of having such a system only if they work.

They are quite simple in design and manufacturers claim they are wonderful but I am a little confused. They might be Ok in summer months but they can't work in winter months. Both Worester and Vaillant claim they work in winter but not as efficiently. Are they right or is it selling gimmick.

Has anybody fitted them. Has anybody got them. How well do they perform.

Sponsored Links
I can give some general info. First, it doesn't have to be hot to power a solar panel. Normal daylight is enough. All that means is in winter when there's less light, you will have less potential energy. For that reason you may need some back up power? I also understand proper battery arrays to store the excess juice and the whole thing in general, even with subsidies, is flippin expensive,

HTH.

Nige F said:
excess juice, on solar water heating :?:

It would have to be an enormous solar panel :) Better to also get a stove that will burn your paper rubbish and heat the water off that...

Sponsored Links
bpowell555 said:
Nige F said:
excess juice, on solar water heating :?:

It would have to be an enormous solar panel :) Better to also get a stove that will burn your paper rubbish and heat the water off that...

Thanks Guys point taken. It ain't good, it aint bad, but damm rubbish piece of damm expensive kit that doesn't work.

Ontario Plumber said:
Do they really work and are they as efficient as they make them to be. I have tried to find out info on the net. I am thinking of having such a system only if they work.
I have a customer who has one, but wants it taken out. Whilst it saves him money in the summer, he claims that the salesman told him it would also save money in the winter - in the UK this is not realistic with current solar panel technology - but he's annoyed that he was misled, so wants it out.

Ontario Plumber said:
They are quite simple in design and manufacturers claim they are wonderful but I am a little confused. They might be Ok in summer months but they can't work in winter months. Both Worester and Vaillant claim they work in winter but not as efficiently. Are they right or is it selling gimmick.
Of course the manufacturers claim that they're great - they're in the business of making and selling them!

bpowell555 said:
I can give some general info. First, it doesn't have to be hot to power a solar panel. Normal daylight is enough. All that means is in winter when there's less light, you will have less potential energy.
This is correct.

bpowell555 said:
For that reason you may need some back up power? I also understand proper battery arrays to store the excess juice and the whole thing in general, even with subsidies, is flippin expensive
This is utter twaddle.

bpowell555 said:
An opinion based on exactly no experience and analysis.

Ontario Plumber said:
...but damm rubbish piece of damm expensive kit that doesn't work.
Er, what? That certainly isn't true of all the products - I've seen one that isn't rubbish, and it did work. And whilst good quality always costs money, it's only expensive if you don't get your money back. The time it takes to pay for the equipment is down to climate and the alternative sources of heat.

Softus said:
Ontario Plumber said:
I have a customer who has one, but wants it taken out. Whilst it saves him money in the summer, he claims that the salesman told him it would also save money in the winter - in the UK this is not realistic with current solar panel technology - but he's annoyed that he was misled, so wants it out.

Ontario Plumber said:
Of course the manufacturers claim that they're great - they're in the business of making and selling them!

bpowell555 said:
I can give some general info. First, it doesn't have to be hot to power a solar panel. Normal daylight is enough. All that means is in winter when there's less light, you will have less potential energy.
This is correct.

bpowell555 said:
For that reason you may need some back up power? I also understand proper battery arrays to store the excess juice and the whole thing in general, even with subsidies, is flippin expensive
This is utter twaddle.

bpowell555 said:
An opinion based on exactly no experience and analysis.

Ontario Plumber said:
...but damm rubbish piece of damm expensive kit that doesn't work.
Er, what? That certainly isn't true of all the products - I've seen one that isn't rubbish, and it did work. And whilst good quality always costs money, it's only expensive if you don't get your money back. The time it takes to pay for the equipment is down to climate and the alternative sources of heat.

Hi Softus

I have a vaillant combi condensing boiler almost two year old. I am pleased with it. Now vaillant are about to release their first solar powered water heating system. I have basic info only but vaillant have a system simple but techically advanced.

I am about to embark on two room extension and possibly loft conversion . I believe I can recover enough money by doing most of the work myself to buy and install a solar water heating system but I am not conviced it is a good viable alternative to gas or electric water heating.

I think you are wise to consider alternatives to oil/gas/elec for heating.
You might need to find the right product Iguess but when the oil/gas run out and everyone is fighting over it you'll be alright.
Can you fit a wood stove into the extension to do a winter water boost and have solar for summer. You can get thermal store tanks into which you can put a few sources and an immersion if you want.

I will probably get hammered by everyone, but felt that it was worth reminding you of the self sufficient gain of these systems. For every 6 barrels of oil we are using we are only extracting 1 new barrel at an affordable price so it is definetely worth looking at alternatives.

When oil prices shoot up a solar system will pay off much quicker.

I know a few people with solar and they seem to love it.

Simple really. Yes Solar heating works. I have it installed in my house and from april to september the boiler is off comletely. I've installed it in my mums house and British Gas came to check her meter last year as they didn't believe her 6month statment, £1.76p. I fitted a system for a customer who backed it up with an oil boiler. He ran out of oil 3 weeks before christmas and couldn't get any until the next day. That evening on returning from work he was not looking forward to a cold shower. But to his supprise his water was hot enough for a shower.
I think it is a myth that solar is too expensive. I know of a place that the whole kit can be purchaced for about 2k. That includes evacusted tube pannels.

ChrisRoberts said:
I know of a place that the whole kit can be purchaced for about 2k. That includes evacusted tube pannels.
Do tell!

Perth said:
I think you are wise to consider alternatives to oil/gas/elec for heating.
You might need to find the right product Iguess but when the oil/gas run out and everyone is fighting over it you'll be alright.
Can you fit a wood stove into the extension to do a winter water boost and have solar for summer. You can get thermal store tanks into which you can put a few sources and an immersion if you want.

I will probably get hammered by everyone, but felt that it was worth reminding you of the self sufficient gain of these systems. For every 6 barrels of oil we are using we are only extracting 1 new barrel at an affordable price so it is definetely worth looking at alternatives.

When oil prices shoot up a solar system will pay off much quicker.

I know a few people with solar and they seem to love it.

Hi "Perth"

Now I am getting the feedback I didn't think I would get. You will have heard British Gas are about to hike prices up again by a big percentage.
I wasn't sure until I saw on the net that worcester Bosch and vaillant have the new solar water heating systems. Worcester Bosh system is available and the vaillant is coming in April.

My gas bill last quarter was £69.00 and new bill received last friday is £185.00. This is the reason I am looking at renewable energy.

As for wood stove I will look at that as well.

ChrisRoberts said:
Simple really. Yes Solar heating works. I have it installed in my house and from april to september the boiler is off comletely. I've installed it in my mums house and British Gas came to check her meter last year as they didn't believe her 6month statment, £1.76p. I fitted a system for a customer who backed it up with an oil boiler. He ran out of oil 3 weeks before christmas and couldn't get any until the next day. That evening on returning from work he was not looking forward to a cold shower. But to his supprise his water was hot enough for a shower.
I think it is a myth that solar is too expensive. I know of a place that the whole kit can be purchaced for about 2k. That includes evacusted tube pannels.

Hi "Chrisroberts"

I have been told that there are two types of solar water systems. One is (flatplate) the other is (Evacuated). The evacuated is expensive but lot better. I have not had chance to have a look at the system but I will soon.

Also there are so many companies offering the systems. I am not sure whether their systems are as good as the reputable companies as worcester Bosch and vaillant. Another company is genersystems.

What do you think.

There are loads of firms offering kit. www.sonnenkraft.com is awsome stuff but quite pricey. About 3k, imported from Germany, but the cylinder is ceramic linned which makes it super. Makes a megaflow look ordinary. I have used this stuff and it is top quality. If you want I can get full prices from them as they are not far from me and I know the guy that owns the place. They use evacuated tubes. All the solar jobs I have done (about 200) have used evac tubes.
Also in Essex is Simpleesolar. I'm trying to find their phone number as they are around the 2k mark. But it'll be a copper cylinder.
You'll also need a pump to commision the system, £350!, which I have if you're not too far off you can borrow it.
:LOL:

ChrisRoberts said:
There are loads of firms offering kit. www.sonnenkraft.com is awsome stuff but quite pricey. About 3k, imported from Germany, but the cylinder is ceramic linned which makes it super. Makes a megaflow look ordinary. I have used this stuff and it is top quality. If you want I can get full prices from them as they are not far from me and I know the guy that owns the place. They use evacuated tubes. All the solar jobs I have done (about 200) have used evac tubes.
Also in Essex is Simpleesolar. I'm trying to find their phone number as they are around the 2k mark. But it'll be a copper cylinder.
You'll also need a pump to commision the system, £350!, which I have if you're not too far off you can borrow it.
:LOL:

Hi "chrisRoberts"

How many solar panels would I need to heat say 150 litre cylinder.

You need to question why companies that usually make oil type boiler systems are now leaping on the solar path - basically oil is on the way out and they have probably branched into new technologies to save themselves in the future. Not sure about makes/brands but i would have thought it wise to look at solar specific companies. just because a name is big in one area doesn't mean it will be big in another.

I assume you know of all the www.clear-skies.org grants available for renewables - I think they end in spring tho so be quick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back