Solar DHW systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Our street is going mad with solar DHW systems. Atleast 5 have been fitted and another 2 are pending. I am not convinced that these systems deliver. I have noticed that big names vaillant and viessmann also are jumping on the solar heating band wagon.

Has anybody got such systems. Please share your experiances. whether the systems are worth going for or are they gimmicks.

Sponsored Links
I am a Vaillant trained and registered installer and part of the sales pitch was that 'once one house in the street has got it others will follow to keep up with the jones'!

The average 3 bed household will save around £120-£150/year. Its up to you if you think it is worth it on fuel savings alone :rolleyes:

I think your street is the perfect example of Vaillants sales pitch :LOL:

gas4you said:
I am a Vaillant trained and registered installer and part of the sales pitch was that 'once one house in the street has got it others will follow to keep up with the jones'!

The average 3 bed household will save around £120-£150/year. Its up to you if you think it is worth it on fuel savings alone :rolleyes:

I think your street is the perfect example of Vaillants sales pitch :LOL:

Solar DHW is made to be a BIG thing I aint sure though .You are vaillant guy through and through. Out of s systems 2 are vaillant the rest are locally designed manufactured and fitted. No comments from owners yet.

Im another trained solar eng but have done worcester, baxi and valliants courses. Most systems are identical in parts but branded with their own manufacturers names embossed.

Each system has their own slight variation on how they are designed, but IMHO Valliants solar pack comes out on top for the following reasons, i think evacuated tubes loook neater than flat panels, The fitting of them is simple and the pump station is easy to use. Vaillants solar controller is a little difficult to set up and use but you get used to it with time.

Lee

Sponsored Links
I am solar acredited but not in association with any one manufacturer.

Most systems are fairly similar in performance. However the main aspect that those selling the installation dont mention is that the return on the cost is about 2-3% of the investment.

If you had to borrow the money or even if you think about the interest you would have got from the building society its a negative return!

But then you are doing a bit for the planet!

I do think that the sale price of a house with solar will be rather more, perhaps more than the installation cost which is usually about £4-5k.

Others say that the house with solar sells and those without are devalued!

Tony

I've found at present only the rich or the greenies are going for solar, had the energy certificate been introduced into the HIP it would eventually have made a difference.

In the future all new builds near us are having to jave twin coil cylinders fitted and in the not too distant future a percentage of a new builds elec/heating will have to be green so solar will be forced in.

The local housing auth near me have just spent thousands having valliant solar installed in some of their housing and buildings as a trial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back