Soldered copper or plastic speedfit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to plumb in my extension - water and central heating. Rather a lot in fact - 5 rads in 4 rooms, water to kitchen, utility and W/C.

Mulling over how to do it, I've kind of planned my runs, some are quite tricky. I'm guessing cost will be similar - copper pipe will be more expensive, but the joints and fittings less than the speedfit.

Looking for advice on what you'd do. For some reason I'm thinking copper for the CH and plastic for the water. Is plastic OK for CH? Is copper old school now?

Sponsored Links
Are you doing the work?
If so, it depends on how quick you can solder joints and run copper.
Pushfit is faster generally and, if you’re stringent with your runs, you can keep continuous pipe with minimum fittings in inaccessible areas.
I see the virtues in both, but prefer copper for multi-lane straight runs.

Yep, I'm doing it. I've done some soldering before, but as for speed, that's not in my vocab..... You're swaying me towards plastic.

Just priced up some of the basics for pipe and fittings Plastic £130, Copper £200.

Is it ridiculous to change from plastic to copper for the rad tails? Can't bear seeing a pushfit on show - people will think I'm amateur!

Is it ridiculous to change from plastic to copper for the rad tails? Can't bear seeing a pushfit on show - people will think I'm amateur!

That’s industry standard so, you’re thinking the right way... bring your tails out of the wall, not the floor, into angled valves for the professional touch.

Sponsored Links
Don't use microbore in either, it can be a nightmare in years to come. Copper is slow and more expensive but better on heating circuits I think. If you do loads of solder joints do a pressure test (air), see if you are leaking.

copper, copper, copper. I wish I hadn't let a plumber replace half my central heating system (installed by me) with plastic as I'm slowly having to re-do it after only 18 months. With a mix of both its a real pain.

copper, copper, copper. I wish I hadn't let a plumber replace half my central heating system (installed by me) with plastic as I'm slowly having to re-do it after only 18 months. With a mix of both its a real pain.
Why are you having to re-do it? Leaking? Was it a crap job or just cos it's plastic?

Copper every time .tried and tested . dont worry about a few quid ,when plastic fittings fails it will cost a lot more to clean up than what you saved using copper .plastic for underfloor htg and when buried in concrete

Why are you having to re-do it? Leaking? Was it a crap job or just cos it's plastic?

1. Retarded plumber, who studied at the chimpanzee school of plumbing.
2. crap fittings, probably chosen due to the ease of installation by those with less dexterous opposable thumbs
3. abuse of flexibility of plastic, allowing said plumber to get away with over tight pipework
4. A system that I'm convinced is designed to last no more than the statute of limitation.

Same debate.same answers.over and over....Plastic is fine for certain jobs.Copper is fine but more expensive time consuming and awkward at times.Both can cause v expensive problems if not done correctly.Personally I only use plastic out of sight...Each to their own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back